General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Time for a new Accord!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Thumbs up Time for a new Accord!

Hey guys I havent been by in a long time so im not sure if this is the right place but anyways...

I'm getting ready to buy another Accord, looking at a couple 09 certified LX-Ps 2.4L AT. Just wanted to see if anybody had some common things to be on the lookout for on these cars. I know since it certified ill have the warranty for a long time but its been so long since I got my 94 ive been stuck in the dark ages.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

For the 2009:

• Original rear brake pads wear relatively fast and if replaced with same old Honda part number pads. Newer revised rear pads, adding V-springs, and checking if upper and lower caliper slide pins were reversed was Honda's fix.
  • A few 8th generation Accords burned oil, which exceeded what Honda consider normal; more than 1 quart every 1,000 miles.
  • Even if it doesn't burn oil at a rate of more than 1 quart every 1,000 miles (cars normally still burn some oil), you need to regularly check the oil level. The reason being that the 4 cylinder has a timing chain that uses a chain tensioner which is affected adversely by lack of proper oil pressure. If your oil level is really low, the chain tension may loosen which may cause the timing to jump a tooth or more and also possibly cause some engine damage.
There are other things; but, none are really common for all Accords. Even the oil burning isn't really common, it's just something to be aware of. There are plenty of happy 8th generation Accord owners.