General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timeing Belt Change out issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Default Timeing Belt Change out issues

Ok Guy's and Gal's I'm doing a timing belt change out on my late 95 which appears to be a 96. All was well with the whole job until I hit the dreaded Harmonic balencer bolt! Now I have had many small block Chevy engines appart and I have never run across this issue before! What does it take to get this bolt to loosen up? I have hit this with just about all I have and still can't get the Sob loose...Someone tell me what is going on here lol!
....I have to laugh because I'm also into Diesel Trucks and have not run into this issue! Any ideas?....

Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you need to borrow a crank pulley holder from Autozone
Put a breaker bar on the nut put a 4-5 foot long pipe on end of breaker bar
Jump up and down on end of pipe
That was not a joke, that is how it is done.

Some people heat the bolt with a torch but I do not like that method.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 PM

you can read this thread from when I had to deal with the same problem

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ley-off-36363/

Old 04-06-2012, 06:30 PM

I don't doubt this method at all! This Sob is Tight! I am regrouping having a couple brews and tomorow I will get that bolt out come hell or high water! So what is this tool? I have already broken an extension trying tget that bolt out! And you don't need to use any special tools to hold the engine from turning. I simply exposed the flywheel and used a large Vise grips on it with a lage pipe on the breaker bar. Well the bolt Won and my 40 year old Craftsman extension Snapped! I also put he heat to it but didn't go nut's because I did not want to damage the rubber in the Balancer... It looks like The Steeler did the Job last time because the belt is Honda. I don't nornmally give up but I'm beginning to think this jolopy isn't worth the hassel!!.....
Then aain she gets a lot more mpgs than my Truck does....

Old 04-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

If you go to the ericthecarguy website, there is a video for $10 on how to do the timing belt job. It is an excellent and very detailed video. It is well worth the investment. He shows a way to remove the crank bolt without air tools as well.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

They are a real pain. My 550ft/lb rated at 90psi torque wrench couldn't get one off when I had it at 125psi.

So I took a breaker bar, put a 5 foot pipe on that, put a 4 foot pipe on that, and had to literally jump up and down on it for some time before I got it off.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 PM

Wow..It looks like I will put it back together and drive it till she go's Boom!!
No seriously I'll give it another go and if I can't budge it well.... I'm done...
I have believe that copious amount's of locktight must have been used?? What else could have happened??....

Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 PM

I do not think destroying your engine is a good course of action because you are having a hard time getting the bolt out.

Did you read the link I provided?

I got mine out, everyone else has gotten theirs out, don't be a quitter

Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 PM

The pulley holder/two breaker bars/5' piece of pipe wouldn't budge mine. Heated the bolt head with a torch and it popped right off.

I'm not positive but I don't think the crankshaft pulley is a harmonic balancer; it's just a big hunk of steel. In any case, heating the bolt head didn't warm the pulley enough to notice by touch.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:29 AM

Hmm well I did have a tourch on it but it wasn't quite cherry red yet. How long did you have to heat the thing for?

Quick Reply: Timeing Belt Change out issues