General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

timing belt guide/idler pulley bolt threads bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:40 AM
dhughes
Unregistered
Default timing belt guide/idler pulley bolt threads bad

I think I have every keyword in the title! I'm replacing the timing belt in a 98 Accord V6 and appreciated the timing belt chankshaft pulley bolt thread on this forum - Two trips to the tool store, one for the best 1/2 inch air impact, another for a 3/4 inch air impact -yes it still struggled but came off.

Now the problem. I'm replacing the tensioner and guide pulleys as well, but the guide (or idler) pulley bolt was really hard to turn. When completely removed I found the threads were galled, about half their depth with aluminum. I think chasing the treads on the bolt would be easy and the engine would be relatively easy provided I can find a tap, but I don't know how deep the problem goes. Don't know if it was cross threaded at the factory or there is something else going on.
This is probably the first replacement timing belt, my daughter bought the car and the seller promised it was done as well as promised to provide receipts but after money changed hands refused to even talk to us.
<related note, don't deal with Vic in Aurora Colorao, more details if necessary>
So, this is a critical part of the timing belt system. I can chase the threads and hope that at the proper depth they're ok, or I can try to install a threaded insert. Not sure if there is wall thickness to allow for an insert and with the limited access to the side of the engine it's going to be a very difficult job.
Any suggestions?

thanks,

Doug

Last edited by dhughes; 05-10-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

I guess I would try to put in a HeliCoil or TimeSert. You really don't want that coming apart when you're driving.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:24 PM
mark95
Unregistered

You can check the depth of the hole with a wire. The length of the bolt is a good indicator as well. Why not try to clean the thread and clean out the hole (gently) with a wire brush and solvent. Try finger tightening the bolt back into the hole once or twice and see if it seats. If no luck then go to a heli coil. Just my two cents. Good Luck. This might cost your daughter an increase in the bill!