General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Question Timing Belt Help

So I'm finally taking the plunge and replacing my timing belt. I ordered it online and I sent the seller my vin to verify the correct kit.

They referred me to one that covered 97 and up instead of the kit that covered 97 and older. That confused me but I guess I have a newer model 97 accord.

Im looking at the markings on the belts and they don't really indicate too much and I can't find any reference to what the timing belt should be.

The markings are
Timing Belt- T244X 305
Balancing Belt- T186X 307

I would like to verify that this is correct before I take my engine apart only to find I gotta go get the right part.

Are these correct? The seller did not list an OEM comparison number.

Also whats the difference in the timing belts from early 97 and newer 97 f22b1s?

Thanks

Old 12-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Is there a name brand? I've never heard of there being different belts and I've been around here a while.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 PM

Super Auto. I feel dumb, I just noticed one was VTEC and the other was not. Although the VTEC belt covers f22 and f23 engines. The non-vtec covers just f22's. I suppose something must have changed for the non vtec 6th gen engines.

This is the one I bought:
Super Auto TWPHD04 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump and Seals Set | eBay

This is the one I originally saw but was told wasn't correct
Super Auto TWPHD02 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump and Seals Set | eBay

I was a bit reluctant to buy a non-oem timing belt but it was a good deal and claimed OE equivalent with warranties.

Now that I see the differences in the parts my question is what do the codes on the belts stand for?

And a new question, why would the VTEC timing belt be different from the non-Vtec? Is it the teeth on the cam gear?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

I believe the vtec has a different cam gear that requires a slightly longer belt.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 AM

Ok. Thats was I suspected.

So what do the numbers on the timing belt indicate? I was thinking distance between teeth and the amount of teeth but I can't find the specs for the f22b1 timing and balancing belts to compare.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

"According" <<< Ha! to the Gates site, (the bible for belts and other accessories) the 244 designation is for the VTEC motor and the non-VTEC is a 186. Most of the time, the numbers in a belt part no. designates the length in cm's.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:25 PM

That makes sense. So 244 is the length in centimeters.

and 305 must be the number of teeth?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RobinsonRicer

and 305 must be the number of teeth?
never had time to count them

Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 PM

haha, I suppose I could do that.

So I hear the f22s love a new, tight timing belt. I have directions but I seem to learn the tricks of repairs after I've fought with my car for a few hours. I'm hoping to make this repair as smooth as possible.

I've never done one before. Any pointers?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RobinsonRicer
haha, I suppose I could do that.

So I hear the f22s love a new, tight timing belt. I have directions but I seem to learn the tricks of repairs after I've fought with my car for a few hours. I'm hoping to make this repair as smooth as possible.

I've never done one before. Any pointers?
follow the instructions, and double check each step, an improperly installed belt can be catastrophic.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Help