General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing belt questions and concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'll make a plug for both DIY and independent repair shops.

If you have enough confidence to consider yourself "a pretty good mechanic" then you will have no problems replacing your own TB/waterpump. There are plenty of DIYs on the web with photos and a famous video that I've never seen but I've heard is excellent for the $10 it costs. The crank bolt can be a PITA. Fortunately, it's at the very beginning of the job so, if you can't get it off, you're not out any $$$ for parts and very little labor. The Autozones in my area loan out the crank pulley holder tool for free. Really, after you get that damn pulley bolt broken loose the rest of the job is pretty straight forward.

I've steered friends towards Honda independents listed on Craig's List. I look for the ads that say "former dealer mechanics, NN years experience." Timing belts are their bread and butter jobs and they do so many because customers face dealer service department sticker shock. Good independents shops do excellent work and, with far less overhead, are able to do it much cheaper.

Just my two cents.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by jroxz44
I think maby i should just get the dealership to do it. I think their the most trust worthy. Idk thou i never took my car to a garage before i always do my own work but this project is a bit much for my comfortability. How urgent should this be done? I know im over due but idk what their life span really is
Those timing belts are absolutely critical to change. You should have them changed BEFORE the recommended interval. Take it to an independent garage you trust rather then the dealer. You will save mega bucks.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bugman137
Those timing belts are absolutely critical to change. You should have them changed BEFORE the recommended interval. Take it to an independent garage you trust rather then the dealer. You will save mega bucks.
How would he save mega bucks going to an independent shop?

The dealer quoted him $550 and I am sure that is with genuine Honda Parts.

How much do you think it would be at an independent shop?

In this case the dealer seems more than fair.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:54 AM

The indy's around here charge $250; aftermarket belt.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

I think it's more accurate to say you'll AVOID a megabucks repair by replacing the timing belt before it breaks. Dealer vs. independant, you still have to decide how to pick a trustworthy shop. Not all dealers are crooks. Not all independants are angels.

Honda doesn't actually manufacture the belts. Gates & others make good belts.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile

Originally Posted by crispin
How would he save mega bucks going to an independent shop?

The dealer quoted him $550 and I am sure that is with genuine Honda Parts.

How much do you think it would be at an independent shop?

In this case the dealer seems more than fair.
It cost me less then half of the cost of the dealer. Often times the dealer price is way over inflated even though they do many timing belts. I have a 1990 accord which I paid 1100.00 for. I am not going to pay 550.00 for a routine repair. The parts alone are less then 100.00. So what is your time worth to do it? So again, if you have someone you trust or if you are capable of doing this yourself it's way worth looking into.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

This is something to take into consideration, the 4 cylinder engines offered by Honda after 2004 have timing chains. No periodic changing or adjustments are needed.

The V6 has a belt that DOES need changing at 105k intervals. DO NOT exceed this recomendation. You risk blowing the engine if that belt breaks! That is the only weakness in the Honda engines. Otherwise the engines will last forever.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bugman137
This is something to take into consideration, the 4 cylinder engines offered by Honda after 2004 have timing chains. No periodic changing or adjustments are needed.

The V6 has a belt that DOES need changing at 105k intervals. DO NOT exceed this recomendation. You risk blowing the engine if that belt breaks! That is the only weakness in the Honda engines. Otherwise the engines will last forever.
good point on the 2004

That is the reason that I plan on my next accord being a 2004

Back to the OP - he has no desire to do the work himself (which to many / most it is way too big of a job) most dealers charge $800+ for the job, $550 is not a bad price.