General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

timing belt repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:56 AM
Default timing belt repair

Greetings,

I have a 1993 Honda Accord LX with an F22A1 engine with approximately 220,000 miles. Several weeks ago, the timing belt broke. A mechanic friend checked it out and said all the cylinders were holding air and it appeared to only be the timing belt. I bought parts and he replaced it. Now he says there’s no compression in 3 and 4. He thinks it’s bent valves. This is my only car and I now have to decide whether to fix it or find another el cheapo car.

I know this isn’t really enough info, but it’s all I have at this point. Based on your experience, what do you think a rough estimate would be to fix it, what parts are usually needed for this type of repair, and, do you think it’s worth it?

Thanks!

Last edited by sirtwist2; 03-21-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by sirtwist2
what ... do you think it’s worth it?
Thanks!
sorry, don't know what it is.

Tw'er me, I wouldn't rely on same mechanic friend on future issues relating to motor internals.
There are only a few engines that can take a timing belt break and not be damaged, and
these few are called non-interference engines. Accord isn't on that list.

Someone else to advise on whether a replacement engine / rebuild is called for and cost ...

luck. P.S. - I just put a new timing belt on my '92

Old 03-21-2014, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

If the rest of the car is in good shape, then have the head replaced or rebuilt.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
If the rest of the car is in good shape, then have the head replaced or rebuilt.
After spending the morning doing some research, I think that's the route I'm going to go. I found a remanufactured fully assembled head for what I consider to be a reasonable price.

Thanks for the response!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sirtwist2
After spending the morning doing some research, I think that's the route I'm going to go. I found a remanufactured fully assembled head for what I consider to be a reasonable price.

Thanks for the response!
Yeah, often the dilema for those of us who own an old/high mileage car; fix or replace?

A few years ago I had an old/high mileage but otherwise good condition vehicle which ate a transmission. With no working tranny the vehicle was basically worthless as a trade so I had to decide between $2,600 for a remanufactured tranny or a different car; the decision was easy, there was no way I'd be able to buy as nice of a ride for $2,600, so in went the new tranny. It turned out to be a good decision as I got another 100,000 miles out of that vehicle before I ultimately traded it in.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

As a salvage car, vehicle is probably worth $500 or less and sales price in working condition of perhaps $1250, the justifiable cost is ~$750. You should be able to find a repair shop to repair head and re-install for < $750, much less ($300) if you DIY. If you drive for 1-2 years, repair is a bargain.

good luck

Old 03-23-2014, 11:19 AM

Does anyone have a link to an online manual or diagrams showing how to remove and reinstall a cylinder head? I downloaded three manuals from HondaLookUp.com, but two are non-USDM manuals and one is for an Accord Aero Deck. I don't know what non-USDM means but I assume it means non US cars. Nor do I know what Aero Deck means.
Does anyone know if rebuilding or replacing the cylinder head is a difficult job? I've talked to a couple of people who have done this job before and neither of them want to help me with it, so I'm guessing it is not an easy job.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

USDM stands for united states domestic market, aka cars that were sold in the US. There is JDM(Japan domestic market) etc.

They should have very similar engines, and those manuals will give you a pretty good idea of exactly what you are getting yourself into.

I would just buy a print copy if I were you, they can be had for usually less than $10 on amazon or ebay.

Replacing a cylinder head(not even going to get into rebuilding) certainly is something your "average" weekend mechanic isnt looking forward to. I have done it a few times, but it is a job most novices will steer away from.

Is it all that hard? Not really. There is a lot of work involved though(would clear your schedule for the weekend just encase), and a lot of minor details that can make for a world of pain if they are over looked.

Check car-part.com to find some used cylinder heads, can probably get them for next to nothing. Then if I were you I'd call around to get some quotes to see what some shops will charge you before you decide to conquer it yourself or not.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Head gasket on 94 EX is not difficult, but does require removing timing belt, and a some effort underneath the vehicle on jack stands to disconnect supports and wiring harness underneath the intake manifold.

I would count on reworking the cylinder head before re-installation; reseat valves, new valve stem seals, leak/crack inspection, and shaving the head perfectly flat. This will cost about $250-$350, but substantially increases probability of getting job done correctly first time.

Yes, there is a small but significant probability (perhaps 1/20) of head gasket failure on startup. Why? failure to install head gasket correctly, damaging head gasket when landing cylinder head, torqueing bolts incorrectly, and reasons unknown. I'm assuming you shaved the cylinder head. I bring this up to fully inform you of risks of DIY job. This risk is avoided if you pay someone to do the job.

good luck

Old 03-27-2014, 07:26 PM

While taking the cylinder head off and replacing it, is there anything else I should check and/or replace? What about the distributor and/or oil pump? I read somewhere on here that replacing the oil pump usually isn't recommended, but I have 220,000 miles on this car and no idea what if anything has ever been done to it.

Quick Reply: timing belt repair