General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Tensioner Failure @ 50k miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Default Timing Belt Tensioner Failure @ 50k miles

Hello to everyone! I'm a new member, but a long-time Honda owner. Owned 8 so far. I have a 2009 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 MT. Bought it in Aug 08.

I noticed a rattling sound under the hood a few weeks ago. Took it in for an oil change & tire rotation last Saturday and had the Tech listen to the rattle. Today they tell me that the tensioners (?) are going bad and that I need a kit that includes tensioners, timing belt, water pump, etc. ($900) Did I mention this is a 2009 with 50k miles? I thought this was something that got replaced at the 105k mile mark.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Is it a common problem? Recall? What causes it? I love my car and it is very well taken care of, including all maintainence services as needed. This is the first problem I have ever had with a Honda. Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:59 PM

Doesn't the power-train warranty go to 60k miles? Even if it doesn't, a tensioner shouldn't be going out at 50k miles. Why would they need to change the water pump? Did the belt break? Or slip, and damage anything? Somethings wrong with this picture.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 PM

I am deficient in automotive knowledge, but I do know that the only thing wrong is that there is a rattle on the passenger side of the engine near the timing belt. The car runs great! And, no, I don't abuse my car, but I do like to use ALL 6 gears .

They explained that the part that needs replaced comes as part of a kit that includes all the other things. They did mention that, because I am long-time customer, they will try to get the local rep to give me a break on the price.

Good point on the warranty. I'm going out to the glovebox to check the coverage. Like I said before, I've never had a problem before, and I really like this dealership. It's just hard to believe that a little rattling noise is going to result in a $900 dollar bill, 8 hours of service, and multiple parts replaced.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are correct about the Limited Powertrain Warranty! I was unaware of the additional warranty, but I knew the standard warranty was 3yr/36k. I will bring this up with the technician tomorrow!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

The idler and/or tensioner for the timing belt should be available separately. But the big part of that job is labor anyway. At 50k miles, especially under warranty, it seems a bit silly to put the old belt back on. You're better off if they do the whole timing-belt job under warranty. That way you won't need another timing belt until 150k miles.

If they do that, you'll probably have to keep some records, because they'll want to do the timing belt again (on your $$$) at about 100k.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:29 PM

Thank you both for your responses. I spoke w/ the Tech today. Unfortunately, the parts that are going bad (tensioner and 2 pulleys) are not under the extended powertrain warranty (the timing belt is warrantied, but is not defective). As you suggested, they are going to replace these parts AND the timing belt. From what I understand, these parts come in a kit w/ a timing belt. They also said that due to my history w/ them, they are cutting the bill 50%, so this is only 1/2 as painful as I expected it to be.

I drive 110 miles/day roundtrip to work, so I think the worst part of this mess is that I'm losing faith in Honda's quality. I like getting in my car, turning the key, and getting to where I'm going, w/o having to wonder if my car will make it there. Now there will be a nagging doubt. Oh well, it's not like I have a higher quality alternative.....Toyota, not now; GM, not ever (although I like that they brought back the Camaro)!

Once again thanks for your time! Have a great day!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Is the extended warranty through Honda? Call Honda customer service & see if THEY agree with the dealer. I find it hard to believe that those pulleys are not part of the drivetrain.

OTOH, I fix my own cars, so I basically never pay for extended warranties anyway...

Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 PM

I think this dealership is trying to screw you into paying for something that should be fully covered under warranty. The tensioner/pulleys may be considered wear/maintenance items, but the maintenance interval is 105k miles (and that's just to inspect them, not necessarily to replace them), not 50k miles. The tensioner/pulleys are no more a wear/maintenance item than the belt, IMO. I would ask to see a list of what is, and what is not covered under the warranty.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:46 AM

No, this is not an Extended warranty that I purchased in addition. (In my opinion, Service/Maintenance warranties purchased in addition to the manufacturer's warranty are always riduculously expensive and not worth the cost. Besides, my Honda isn't suppose to need one in the first place!) It is the Powertrain Limited Warranty provided by Honda at purchase. The "Parts Covered by the Powertrain Warranty" on Page 10 states...

"Engine--Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing gears and gaskets, timing chain/belt and cover, flywheel, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, intake and exhaust manifords, engine mounts, engine/powertrain controle module, water pump, fuel pump, seals and gaskets."

This is the most detailed information I could find online, since my Owners Manual is in the glovebox at the dealership. And as you can see, the tensioner and pulleys are not listed. I argued the fact that I am having to pay for a timing belt as part of this kit that I do not need, but I also agree with your suggestion that it should be replaced since the car will already be torn apart to replace the tensioner and pulleys. Perhaps this is the reason they are discounting the service 50%?

I will make a call on Monday morning directly to the Warranty Customer Service Department. It is at least worth a try. Thank you again!

Old 03-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

The tensioners are inside the engine's timing cover, so does that make it an "internal part"? You can't SEE the timing-belt tensioners from the outside of the engine.

You can only see the tensioner for the external drive belt (that's not the timing belt).

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Tensioner Failure @ 50k miles