General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing belt and water pump

Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Default Timing belt and water pump

I just called to schedule an appointment to change my timing belt and they informed me that they'll change the water pump with it too. Is this standard? I called 3 places and they're quoting me $600 (ballpark) to perform this service.

My 03 Accord 4-cyl EX has 97000 miles. When does the water pump need to be changed?

(Apologies if this has been discussed before, but the search feature on the forum doesn't seem to be working on my machine.)

thanks, Rob

Old 06-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Timing belt and water pump

Search is MIA right now, you can use the link in my signature if you need to.

Water pump is usually changed with the timing belt and is recommended since everything else is already apart. It's only a $50 max. part.

Most Accords need the belt replaced at 90k or 105k, dpending, so you're right in the middle. $600 is a decent price as well.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:26 AM

Once you have the timing belt off, you should replace the water pump as well. It will eventually fail and replacingit means removing the belts. So better to kill two birds with one stone. And yes $600 is about right.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 AM

starting in 2003 accord 4 cyl DOES NOT have a timing belt,, it has a timing chain, no need to replace it unless it gets noisy , and i would not replace the water pump unless it leaks or makes noise,,

when you called for an estimate , the shops should have told you this ,makes me wonder what kind of shops these are ,,, unless you did not specify the year and model .......2003 v6 still has a timing belt ..

So save your money ..

Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 AM

I was debating in my mind whether or not it had a chain. I though 2003 and up did. Didn't the V6's have chains throughout? My 2004 Acura MDX has a chain, J-series motors...

Old 06-05-2008, 10:04 AM

v6 still have a t-belt , and i am pretty sure so does your 2004 MDX..

Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, beginning with 2003 the 4-cyl is the K-series engine.

Camshafts are driven by a chain. Do not replace.

Waterpump is driven by the external serpentine belt. You could probably replace it yourself.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:23 PM

Thanks everyone. It's just "strange" for me to call three different places and all of them told me that they'd do it. To answer Desert Honda's question, they did know the make and model year because they asked me. Two were dealers and one was an independent shop.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:36 PM

I can't believe how incompetent those places you called must be. Unless they just planned to hold you car in their shop for a day, not touch it, then charge you $600. You seriously should call them all back and ask them exactly what they planned to do once you dropped you car off....considering you don't even have a timing belt. i would even think about calling local news stations in the area to tell them how incompetent thosedealerships are.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM

Yeah it's really frustrating when I discover these things. Now giving them the benefit of the doubt, since I'm not a mechanic... any chance that a Honda dealership would be confused between timing belts and timing chains?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing belt and water pump