General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt and Water Pump Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Default Timing Belt and Water Pump Kit

Hi,

Can you please suggest what parts need to be replaced along with timing belt and water pump on a 1999 Accord EX 4cyl/4Dr? Some sellers have kits online ... but they all have different parts listed as part of the kit. Is there a perfect kit for this? Here are a few examples ...

Kit 1
====
* timing belt
* balance shaft belt
* water pump with gasket
* timing belt tensioner
* balance shaft tensioner
* timing belt tensioner spring
* balance shaft tensioner spring
* both accessory drive belts
* front camshaft seal
* front crankshaft seal
* front auxillary shaft seal
* valve cover gasket
* four spark plug tube seals
* five valve cover bolt grommets

Kit 2
====
[ul][*] Front main (crank) seal oem part # 91212-PAA-A01[/align]Front oil pump (drive) seal oem part # 15114-PT0-003[*] Balance shaft seal oem part # 91233-PT0-003[/align][*] Timimg belt oem part # 14400-PAA-A02[/align][*] Balance belt oem part # 13405-PAA-A03[/align][*] Cam seal oem part # 91213-PT0-003[/align][*] Water pump oem part # 19200-P0A-003[/align][*] Valve cover gasket oem part # 12341-P0A-000[/align][*] Spark plug tube seals x 4 oem part # 12342-RYE-004 X 4 (OLD# 12342-P2F-A01)[/align][/ul]
Kit 3 (This is what my mechanic asked me to purchase)
=========================================
- Timing belt
- Water pump
- AC Belt
- Power Steering belt
- Coolant
- Balancer shaft belt
- Cam seal
- bracket for balance(?)

My mechanic didn't mention any tensioners or as many seals in other kits. You can see why I'm confused. [sm=smiley5.gif]

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Timing Belt and Water Pump Kit

I'd get #2 with the OEM parts.

The crucial things to change out are:
-Timing belt
-Balancer belt
-Both tensioners
-Water pump and gasket

Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Default RE: Timing Belt and Water Pump Kit

Here - http://www.tasauto.com/Product/Brows...?d=978&p=1- what I used when I did my timing belt/pump. FYI - the spark plug tube seals are a PITA to remove - kit - http://www.tasauto.com/Product/Brows...?d=976&p=1

I recommend replacing the distributor and cam shaft seals also.

The crank, balance shaft, oil pumps shouldn't need replaced unless they're leaking or bad. Otherwise you're just doing more work than necessary.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Hi All,

Newis member, this is my first post and hopefully following the posting guidelines. Joined a couple of months ago after purchase of my Honda, been educating myself about my vehicle, and have found great helpful information for getting my vehicle ship shape with minor work I can do myself, i.e., bulb replacements (clock, instrument panel, center mount brake light) and installing a new cabin air filter, not a mechanic, just a wannabe, but can at least be informed. After months of searching for this particular model, I bought the vehicle from its original owner, mileage in the low 170's which I didn't think was too bad given the age of the vehicle, in great shape inside (immaculate) and out, always garaged (important with the winters here in Minnesota), and all maintenance regularly performed per the recommended schedule, including oil changes and tire rotation, and was even in the color I wanted -- very happy with my purchase! A post I read on the forum about recalls on this model alerted me to an ignition interlock issue, which I did have, went on the Honda Owner's site, plugged in my VIN, and found that two recalls had been issued for my vehicle addressing the issue, two years apart, indicated one had been fixed, but the second was still outstanding. I arranged for service with my local Honda dealership and had it fixed. While being serviced a multi-point inspection was performed on the vehicle and they recommended the replacement of valve cover gasket as follows:

"Valve Cover Gasket, Valve Cover Bolt Grommets, Distributor Housing Leaking Oil."

There is definitely a build up of oil/grunge on the front outside face of the cover, but I have no fluids leaks of any kind. I will have the repair done, though at my local repair shop, Honda gave me a price of $843 (reasonable/unreasonable?) and I think I can do better than that. The drive belts were also listed as being out of adjustment and I will have that taken care of as well.

My question here is: what else should I have done when I have this repair done? The timing belt and water pump were replaced in 2006 at 105K and isn't due again for another 30K-35K, but looking over the different items listed in the above Kits, I'm thinking it may be a good time to go ahead and have it done now anyway, along with everything else listed in the Kits. I would rather go ahead and have a big expenditure now to get everything done I can than wait for it to be done down the road piecemeal. I plan on keeping this car as long as possible, though am keeping my eye out for a 6th gen coupe which I also want. All ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by OkieGoGo
I arranged for service with my local Honda dealership and had it fixed. While being serviced a multi-point inspection was performed on the vehicle and they recommended the replacement of valve cover gasket as follows:

"Valve Cover Gasket, Valve Cover Bolt Grommets, Distributor Housing Leaking Oil."

There is definitely a build up of oil/grunge on the front outside face of the cover, but I have no fluids leaks of any kind. I will have the repair done, though at my local repair shop, Honda gave me a price of $843 (reasonable/unreasonable?) and I think I can do better than that.
???

Are you sure? The VC gasket/grommets and distributor o-ring are <$50, even @ full dealer markup. Unless the internal distributor seal is bad and they're going to swap it out with a new one? One hour labor tops for both the VC gasket and distributor R&R.

Doing nothing until it's time for another timing belt replacement may be your best option since the engine's not actually leaking any oil.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Well any shop that does this "right" will take care of the VC and that when doing the timing belt job. You might have to ask for the Dist o-ring replacment

The big question are the seals - crank, cam, balance shaft, ect. Those are the "guess", not knowing if they were done already and you are now at your second "change" and 175K? What to do, the shop will be right there at them so if you decide to have them replaced the labor should be a small amount + the cost of them.

IMO, it is a hard call. Will they hang in there for another 80~100K ir will they fail?

Edit: I see Roader posted and we are reading this different - I read it as the OP is going for the whole TB job.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:58 PM

$843 to simply replace the vc gasket seals and distributor oring is absurd...go elsewhere...like poorman said have someone simply replace those seals when u have the timing belt done which should be soon