General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing Chain Problem with 2013 Honda Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Default Timing Chain Problem with 2013 Honda Accord LX

I got a brand new 2013 Honda Accord LX CVT 6 weeks ago . I took really good care of it - didn't drive more that 65 mph on highway, easy on the brakes, washed it every 2 weeks, etc. To my horor, it started having this rattling noise last week. The only time I heard that noise was when I drove my husband's car and didn't notice that the oil light was on. My husband had to replace his car engine. Anyway, no idicator light was on in my new car's dashboard and noise stopped. After 2 days, I heard this popping sound when car was on idle or when my foot was on the brake pedal. I brought the car to the dealership and I was told there was a problem with the timing chain. I don't know anything about timing chain but for my Honda Accord, timing belt had to be replaced every 90k miles. I only have 2,200 miles on this new car.

The service technician informed me that he's going to replace a part. Should I be worried that this problem might have caused damage to other parts? Why did I have this problem when the car is not even due for its first oil change.

I appreciate any information you can share with me.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Last question first: there is no telling exactly why the problem came up, however, early parts failure of a certain percentage of parts is a fact of life.

Depending upon what exactly is wrong with the engine, yes, other damage is possible, however, all should be covered under warranty.

Long story short, let the service department do their job; there is no need to sweat it unless and until the problem comes back or some other issue is identified.

FWIW, not too long ago I had a transmission fail in a new car after only two-thousand miles. The dealership rebuilt the transmission and the car was good to go.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

there is a service bulletin related to your problem, 09-010, it has all the information the tech needs to fix the problem. the rattle it due to a defective VTC actuator. no biggie

Old 05-14-2013, 04:01 PM

Thank you Shipo and Jeff! I was already researching about Lemon Law. Your replies put my mind at ease.