General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tips For A Quieter Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Default Tips For A Quieter Engine?

Hello,

I drive a '94 Accord LX that's long past its prime, and I was wondering if you guys had any effective means of making the engine run quieter? I'm not looking to rebuild the engine or anything major, just a few weekend projects that might improve the situation. All in all, I'm just trying to get a less noisy ride.

Any input is really appreciated. Thanks!!

P.S. Here's a list of work I've done to the car:

- spark plugs and wires
- oil, fuel, air filter
- PCV valve
- timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump
- new tires
- new muffler
- brake calipers + pads

Old 01-02-2015, 07:53 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I had old chevy with a 267 v8, noisy lifters and just sounded like a thrashing machine when running, I tried some Lucas oil stabilizer and the stuff worked great, I have had great success using Lucas products over the years, and as a matter of fact I am running their power steering additive in my 96 right this moment and it works as advertised, good luck.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by woody31
... I tried some Lucas oil stabilizer and the stuff worked great ...
Thanks for the reply. I've never come across that product before. Is it just something that I would add to the transmission fluid on top of what's already in there?

Old 01-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Almost A Senior Member

No you add it to the engine oil,,ideal is when you change the oil, you can get it at auto zone or advance auto parts, orielly auto parts,, napa,,change the oil and add 1 qt of this in place of 1 qt of oil, good luck.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:18 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Have you thought about changing out the motor mounts? Old mounts will collapse and/or the rubber will harden, allowing more engine vibration to be transmitted throughout the car.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Intake and Exhaust valve gap adjustment can sometimes quiet noisy valves. Follow procedure carefully on cold engine to get correct settings.

Power Steering (PS) pumps can be noisy if air gets into fluid. You will get a whining sound from PS pump. Fix is to find suction inlet air leak and repair. Some cases a small oring on the PS pump suction inlet fitting is the culprit.

Some alternators whine/growl. I don't know why (bad bearings?).

Idler bearing on AC compressor can be noisly (worn). Fix is new bearing or compressor.

You should attempt to isolate and identify the noise source to get more specific help.

good luck

Old 01-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Almost A Senior Member

What might help is posting an audio clip of the engine sound ...

Old 01-03-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by woody31
No you add it to the engine oil,,ideal is when you change the oil.
Will do. My car's due for an oil change in about a month. I'll get this done and see if there's any improvement. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by jkowtko
Have you thought about changing out the motor mounts? Old mounts will collapse and/or the rubber will harden, allowing more engine vibration to be transmitted throughout the car.
I'll look into that. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Intake and Exhaust valve gap adjustment can sometimes quiet noisy valves. Follow procedure carefully on cold engine to get correct settings.
Was supposed to do this last summer but I never got around to it. Guess I'm waiting for a warm day now.

Idler bearing on AC compressor can be noisy (worn). Fix is new bearing or compressor.
Don't know if it's the AC compressor, but I did notice a squeaking sound after the timing belt replacement. It's the kind of squeak you would expect from something that's rotating, but it definitely got more noticeable after the timing belt job.

Any thoughts?

You should attempt to isolate and identify the noise source to get more specific help.
Working on it My idea was to get as much of the "general fixes" done first and then slowly narrow it down from there.

Thanks again for all the replies!!

Old 01-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Regarding oil additives ... I would be cautious about this. There is a lot of debate about fluid additives. Read up as as much as you can on the forums before adding anything. Often times a good oil change with oil that works for your car will help. Fyi I switched from high mileage Gastrol GTX to Penzoil dino and my oil pan leak reduced substantially.

Regarding post-timing belt noise ... new timing belts may be stiff and make some whine as the belt interacts with the teeth on the cam and crank pulleys. Supposedly this is normal and will subside over time as the belt breaks in.

Again, if you can take some audio clips, even with your smartphone, it will help us to make more pointed suggestions.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

See following post regarding post-timing belt noise.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...g-22046/page3/

good luck

Quick Reply: Tips For A Quieter Engine?