General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Torque settings

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Default Torque settings

Hello, I've changed my spark plugs but was curious to what and if i should torque them to factory settings, or should I just leave it at hand tightened. Also i wanted to know what the gap is for the spark plugs b/c I haven't checked the gapping and finally I read that when changing the distributor cap, if you look behind it you will see a white powdery residue that indicates it is worn and requires it needs changing. If this is true is it possible that myworn cap may be causing my plugs to look as if i'm running too lean??, greyish colour. BTW my car is a 2000 accord se. Sorry for all the question!!

Old 03-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Default RE: Torque settings

I think the gap on my car was like 1.5 mm, but I'm not sure. It should say under the hood however, just look at some of thos stickers up there...

About torquing the plugs, Get them hand tight first and them give them between a quarter and half turn tighter. Should be good from there. It's also a good idea to use anti-sieze on the treads. And always make sure you aren't cross threading.

I don't think a worn cap would cause the plugs to look lean. Is it kind of white? Make sure you use NGK plugs with the right temperature rating.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Torque settings

gap is .039-.042 inc.. set them at .039. cause as they wear the gap will get larger,, as for the torque it is supposed to be at 13 ft lb ,, but do not waster your time, just hand tighten them, make sure to put some anti-seize on the threads before you install them,,