General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Bar Installation Points for '96 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Bilgemaster
Unregistered
Default Tow Bar Installation Points for '96 Accord

Howdy folks! I'm a noob to this Honda Accord forum, but a co-moderator of the Amphicar-Lovers forum over at Yahoogroups, which is pretty much the very best place to get info about those cockeyed amphibious vehicles made back in the 60s: That is, from other knowledgeable owners. So, I'm hoping maybe you folks might be able to help me out with my issue regarding my 1996 Honda Accord EX (VIN: 1HGCD5656TA107992) daily driver, and also that I've placed this posting into the correct sub-forum.

As you should see from my signature line, assuming it posts as it should, I also have an old '79 Champion Motorhome, and I'd like to occasionally use my Honda as what RVers call a "four-down toad". Despite what you might guess, this phrase is not in fact some folksey epithet like "low down toad", but here injected with some added implied sexual ennuendo as in, "that goldarned four-down toad slept with my best friend and ate all my durn Cheez wiz while doing it!". Nope. The phrase "four-down toad" here simply means "towed with all four wheels down on the road." Don't even get me started on the synonymous RVer slang term "dinghy". But anyhow, from what I've seen in some of the RVer forums out there, it seems that the automatic-transmissioned Honda Accord as a breed lends itself pretty well to this use, suffering no ill effects of the tranmission nor requiring any special mods like tranny fluid circulating pumps like many other makes.

Accordingly, I've been looking around for a nice cheapo tow bar setup to be able to tote the Honda along behind our RV. I've found what looks like a very likely candidate for the job over at my beloved Harbor Freight outlet, which is sort of like a little chunk of gearhead heaven for folks like me on a tight budget. The model towbar I'm interested in is their '5000 lb. Capacity Tow Bar', Item 94696-0VGA, the installation instructions and owners guide for which is found here as a PDF document. The problem is, when I look at my Honda's front end, I cannot see where the tow bar's two bolt-on mounting brackets (parts 8A) might best go, and the manufacturer hasn't been much help. Has anyone had any experience with this or other tow bars on a '96 Accord who might have some pointers for me? Maybe I'll get a clearer idea of how to proceed this afternoon when I change the beast's oil and thereby get a really good looksee at its underbelly, but right now I'm sort of baffled.

Thanks to everyone on this Forum in advance for any help.

Regards,
Bill Connelly
Springfield, Virginia

Old 04-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Default RE: Tow Bar Installation Points for '96 Accord

I'd just like to suggest a better, albeit more expensive,alternative to a tow-bar - a "tow dolly".

Here's an example:
http://www.pensketruckrental.com/per...tow_dolly.html
There's a video link on that page that shows everything about it.

Obviously, buying one would be more expensive, but used they're prettyaffordable:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-t...01275491QQrdZ1