General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tranmission in and out of overdrive

Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 PM
jdwallace81
Unregistered
Default tranmission in and out of overdrive

alright i've read some post and could not find an answer for this problem i'm having. i'm gonna explain as simple as possible so here goes its a 94 accord ex 240k miles while driving regular or with cruise on the tranny will go in and out of overdrive and its weird cause when you let off the gas it downgears and when you start to accelerate it goes back into overdrive it will just go back and forth the whole time depending on acceleration time really annoying i would appreciate any help or suggestions thanks !

Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Is it actually shifting between 3rd & 4th, or do you feel the torque-converter locking & unlocking?

One thing to check is the downshift cable, from the throttle body down to the transmission. I don't remember the exact adjustment, 'cause I didn't have an Accord with that.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:32 AM
jdwallace81
Unregistered

no its forth and overdrive its about a 500 rpm difference going in and out and i know its not third because i shifted down to third to make sure and the rpms were way higher as they should be but i will check that cable adjustment. as for the torque converter locking and unlocking i'm not exactly sure what that means

Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

There are no more gears above 4th. What feels like another shift is really the torque converter locking up.

Look for torque converter in howstuffworks or someplace like that. Normally it's a fluid connection between the engine & tranny, but when it locks up that makes it a solid connection. It kinda feels like a gearshift, but the feeling is less distinct & the rpm difference is smaller.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:37 PM
jdwallace81
Unregistered

Oh ok well thanks I will do some research on the locking up thanks slot

Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have an auto-tranny, so there's a few things about your questions that hopefully someone can chime in...

Is a change of 500rpm excessive for lockup?
Exactly how the downshift cable should be adjusted?

I had a 1998 auto, which supposedly had more sophisticated computer-control over the tranny. Honda's PR talked about reduced hunting between gears & lock/unlock when you're driving on a long uphill of moderate grade. So maybe that implies it was an issue on earlier automatics? I don't really know much about it - we inherited that car - I normally only buy manual trannys.

I'm gonna move this to General Tech, so maybe more people will see it. It's just been you & me, and I don't feel like an expert on automatics.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:09 PM
jdwallace81
Unregistered

ok thanks i appreciate the help its just a work car and has been dependable just tweaking on some issues to keep it running good i'd rather have a manual much less hassle and thats all i've ever worked on these automatics have so many electronics that run to them its hard to troubleshoot thanks again

Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 AM

When is the last time the transmission fluid was changed? If it's been a while, might be a good idea to go ahead & do that. Remember most of the fluid will be stuck in the torque converter and won't drain, so the best thing to do is drain, refill, drive a few miles, drain, refill, drive a few miles, drain & refill again. That will get most of the old fluid out. Remember NEVER get a shop to "power flush" the transmission - that will tear up the trans. Oil change places will try to get you to let them do it, but DO NOT let them.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds like torque converter hunting,,,,,,,,,,You might want to chk the throttle cable adjustment at tranny.........start the car and let run till fans come on,,,,,,,,have a 12 mm wrench, slight accell the engine by hand at the accel cable and watch the throttle cable movement at tranny,, when engine begins to accell , cable at tranny should begin to move,, they should be in sync,, if out of sync loosen the 12 mm nuts at tranny part of cable and adjust accordingly

Old 11-16-2009, 12:58 PM
jdwallace81
Unregistered

i havent changed fluid in a while i have some amsoil tranny fluid on the way what would be the optimum fluid to flush it with before i add the amsoil? And i will check the adjustment this evening thanks for the easy how to steps that keeps me from having to search for it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tranmission in and out of overdrive