General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny saying bye bye??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 08:23 PM
evs
Default tranny saying bye bye??

Ok, so the car is running normal this morning and i go to work. When its time for me to leave i get in my car, i stand there for like 5 minutes and then left. the car shifted 1-3 normally but when it got to 4 it jerked slightly and i let of the gas, when i went on the gas again i felt like the car was on neutral so i thought i lost 4th and stopped. After cheking all gears where engaging i took off y D3 on when i was on the highway decided to get back to 4th, the only thing i think i felt was that in 4th gear i had to rev the car more to get more speed.... BTW it didnt do the jerking again in 4th gear, it shifted what i belive normally.

Is she saying farewell or just playing games with me??

Old 10-31-2006, 08:40 PM
Default RE: tranny saying bye bye??

if it's revving and not picking up speed consistent with how it normally operates then your tranny might be slipping... however, first we need to know the year/make/tranny type...

Old 10-31-2006, 08:45 PM
evs

yeah thats what i think that its slipping but i just feel it in 4th... the car is Accord 99 coupe V6 automatic..

Old 10-31-2006, 08:58 PM

the first thing I'd do is check your tranny fluid, smell it also and see if it's smells burned or hot, if it does then chances are you got a situation brewing, if not then inspect it for color and perhaps just a fluid change would help

Old 10-31-2006, 09:05 PM
evs

my tranny fluid was changed the 10 of this month

Old 10-31-2006, 09:17 PM
evs

do you think lucas tranny fix can do the job??

Old 10-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: evs

yeah thats what i think that its slipping but i just feel it in 4th... the car is Accord 99 coupe V6 automatic..

It's the trans going bye bye......replace it when it dies (which will be soon) do NOT REBUILD IT

Old 10-31-2006, 09:26 PM

that's why this situation looks familiar.... yeuem had some MASSIVE issues with his tranny and a rebuild shop just a few months ago.... but I would still check your fluid smell/look to confirm everything...

Old 10-31-2006, 09:33 PM
evs

fluid has a faint smell that does not resemble to burnt smell... the fluid is a transparent cherry.

What do you guys say about the lucas trans fix, should i try it?

Old 10-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the ONLY thing I would use is LUBE GUARD for imports........but I seriously doubt that it will fix the issue....

how long have you owned the car?
How many miles on your car?
Do you have complete maint records? THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART

If you are well under 100K I would take it to the Honda dealer and ask them to diag it. Pay them the $80 or whatever. If they say new trans, I would call Honda of America and ask them if they can offer some assistance on the car...

HOA may say one of the following

1. You are completely covered
2. Honda will pay for XXXX and you pay for YYY
3. You pay for all of it.

I didn't get any assistance from HOA simply becuase the car quit moving while in route to the dealer and the closest REPUTABLE place (so I tought) was Kennedy Transmission. BIG MISTAKE. I should have paid the extra $1200 and got the unit replaced. I would still be driving it. Instead I decided to trade it in for a 2002 Acura CL type S after my trans died for the THIRD time and had to be rebuilt.

Sure the acura cost me 2X as much as my accord did but at least Acura as a company stands behind thier cars with some warranty on the trans until 100K. Chances of me buying another Accord are slim next to none.

Quick Reply: tranny saying bye bye??