General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tranny saying bye bye??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:20 PM
evs
Default RE: tranny saying bye bye??

Ive owned the car for 3 months now and has close to 146000 miles. About the maintnance record i dont have any, i bought it in an auction... As soon as i bought the car oil and filter where changed, tranny fluid was changed a month later.

Ok so the car was parked for 2 hours after the incident and i decided to take it for a drive... no problem what so ever... whats up with him, could it be that the cars computer just went a little crazy...?

Old 11-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it is going to get worse....it could take 10 miles it could go for a long time but once the transmission starts to act up, it usually goes fairly quickly.......i would change the fluid again and then drive it some more and change it again......who knows how many times it was changed before then.........

Old 11-01-2006, 12:15 AM
evs

yeah, maybe it has really dirty fluid in there, but when i changed it for the first time fluid on the dipstick was clean... i just changed it as a precaution. Now im going crazy thinking how im going to buy new tranny or even if its worth buying another car... the thing is that in that price range the only one that i seem to like is my honda. [&o]

Old 11-01-2006, 01:59 AM

look into dr evil. complete trans for that car 3500 handles up to 500 hp, has lsd and everyone that has one swears by them.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:13 AM

Was the fluid change done with Honda ATF or some other brand ATF fluid?

Old 11-01-2006, 11:19 AM
evs

the change was done in a Honda dealership so i belive they used they're own product... About the tranny 3500 seems... too much, and why would i want i tranny that handles 500 when my car only has 200 and i will not mod it.... i just want one that keeps my car moving. For how much can i get one of those?

Old 11-01-2006, 01:13 PM
evs

Update... I took my car for a drive this morning and everything felt normal again... i tried reproducing what happened and it did. i accelerated slowly until the car shifted to 4th and let of the gas, then feathered the throttle and rpms moved form 1 almost to 2 but almost no speed increse the same thing that happened yesterday the only diffrence is that yesterday i felt the car shifting into 4th and me being paranoid with the tranny i automatically belived my tranny blew. So I guess it was no big deal, but why is that that when traveling like at 25-30 in 4th and let rpms drop and feather the gas again rpms move with almost no speed increase, if i let go and get on the gas again car starts accelerating....

But anyways... estimate price on a tranny that will keep me moving for lets say... 25,000 miles more?

Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 PM

I got a rebuilt tranny from a enginge/transmission place for 1050, place i bought the car from got me a deal. When I called to see how much it would cost for me to buy it personally it was 1450 after core. It comes with a 6 month unlimited mile warranty. I've had it in for just about a week now and it drives great no probs yet. Attarco has some used ones from japan pretty cheap with no more than 40k miles for about 950 ish. I think it's the same 6 month unlimited mile warranty too. Installation will range from 300-700 (at least in my area). It cost me 150 since the place I bought the car from helped me out there too. I think there might be a design difference between the japense and american made trannie sand it's the american ones that are going out(so i've heard/read).

I think there is a recall for 2000-2002 trannies. Can somebody verify this?

Welcome to the bye bye transmission club. Maybe we should start a support group? lol.

Anyways, good luck bro. I know how it feels man, it sucks, just gotta think once u get this done and timing belt/water pump you will be golden for a long long time. At least that's what I keep telling myself. = /

Old 11-01-2006, 06:32 PM

ok here is the deal

a. everything is in miles and years 100K miles = approximately 160Kilometers

1998,99,02 accords are NOT COVERED under any extended warranty (unless you BOUGHT an extended warranty)

00-01 cars carry a 100K 7 year warranty provided the car has not been salvage titled at some point....if you are salvage titled do not read any further as you will NOT get any assistance.

if you have a 98,99 or 02 car you may try to get some goodwill assitance from Honda of America

keep these things in mind:

1. you MUST have COMPLETE service records indicating that you took care of your car
2. The closer you are to 100K the less likely they are to help you
3. These are the possible outcomes

a. Honda picks up the entire tab no cost to you (lower milage cars usually)
b. Honda pays for X, you pay for Y.
c. Honda denies claim

When you call them, you will need to tell them the following
a. VIN
b. What dealership services your car
c. Milage of car
d. at some point you will have to provide the maint records and if you have your car serviced at the dealer who is fixing it, they will give HOA all the required information from their system.

Be nice to them when you talk to them..

Old 11-02-2006, 03:06 AM
evs

Well thank you very much guys i appreciate it....

I know Honda will not pay a penny for my tranny because its way over 100k, i dont have all the services done to the car and im in a bad luck streak right now so i guess ill just have to buy a used tranny like ckebottle did and pray to god nothing else happens... But before doing this i just have to find 1000 plus and im al set.[]

Quick Reply: tranny saying bye bye??