General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Default Trans Fluid Change

I asked a few weeks ago about whether to change transmission fluid or not? One response suggested the drain and refill X3 method which I could concur with. I asked about a "filter" change and was told there is no servicable filter. The question is... what is that in the picture? #4 is listed as "Filter (ATF)".

2003 Accord EXL 4dr 4cyl

LVP in Cincinnati

Attached Thumbnails Trans Fluid Change-tranny.jpg  
Old 01-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Most non-Honda auto trannys have a screen/filter inside the tranny, you remove the pan to replace it as part of routine tranny service. Honda autos dont have a removable pan, so that internal screen in NOT a normal service item. Well, that's the explanation for why someone said that (maybe ME, 'cause I dont have an automatic).

But now some Hondas have an additional filter in one of the cooler lines, which is what you show there. I guess replace it, especially if it's not stupid expensive. Is it listed in the maintenance schedule from the owner's manual?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:50 PM

Interesting conclusion to this story. Had the wiper moter recall done today, and while there bent a few ears about transmission fluid changes. They said they drain about 3 1/2 qts out and refill it. That's a transmission fluid change! recommended at 60k and every 30k after that. So, buy 4qts and change 3 1/2 qts. ($8.50 a qt)

Asked the parts guy about the filter, showed him the picture on his parts computer, and neither him or the mechanic standing there ever heard of it, didn't know it was there, didn't have any record of selling one, and a search revealed NONE in stock at any Honda dealer in the Cincinnati area! Well!!!

It's a filter, it's easy to change, so why not? ($19.25)

LVP in Cincinnati

Old 02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by lvp0412
Interesting conclusion to this story. Had the wiper moter recall done today, and while there bent a few ears about transmission fluid changes. They said they drain about 3 1/2 qts out and refill it. That's a transmission fluid change! recommended at 60k and every 30k after that. So, buy 4qts and change 3 1/2 qts. ($8.50 a qt)

Asked the parts guy about the filter, showed him the picture on his parts computer, and neither him or the mechanic standing there ever heard of it, didn't know it was there, didn't have any record of selling one, and a search revealed NONE in stock at any Honda dealer in the Cincinnati area! Well!!!

It's a filter, it's easy to change, so why not? ($19.25)

LVP in Cincinnati
Good to know about the filter!

3.5 qts? I've never gotten that much out of mine, maybe 2.5 at the most.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 PM

In conclusion...

I drained out 3 1/2 qts and filled with 3.0 qts. I did this twice and figure I got 75% of the old stuff? (maybe) As for the filter, yes there is a filter in the cooling line, sitting on top of the transmission case and no one knew about it that I talked to. I cut open the old filter with 78k miles on it, and YES it was a pleated paper filter, much like a fuel filter and dirty as hell. It's not mentioned anywhere in the manual and I'm just glad I found it. Other '03 automatics be advised.

LVP in Cincinnati

Old 02-17-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by lvp0412
In conclusion...

I drained out 3 1/2 qts and filled with 3.0 qts. I did this twice and figure I got 75% of the old stuff? (maybe) As for the filter, yes there is a filter in the cooling line, sitting on top of the transmission case and no one knew about it that I talked to. I cut open the old filter with 78k miles on it, and YES it was a pleated paper filter, much like a fuel filter and dirty as hell. It's not mentioned anywhere in the manual and I'm just glad I found it. Other '03 automatics be advised.

LVP in Cincinnati
So you mean 3.5 qts came out but you put in 3.0 qts? Is that because the transmission was overfilled to begin with?

If you did this twice, you put in 1 qt less than you extracted.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:35 PM

Yes, there was an extra 1/2 qt in there from the factory.

LVP

Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Don't just blindly dump in the amount without checking the level. Best is to check on the dipstick - it sounds like you did that.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:33 AM

Just changed mine over the weekend, and plug had a small amount of black crap ( I guess shavings ) on it. Is that normal?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Normal. I got the black sludge stuff every time. As long as it wasn't metallic chunks, you should be in the clear.

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid Change