General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans leak and questions 96 EXR 2.2 AT

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 07:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Trans leak and questions 96 EXR 2.2 AT

hi people,

I got some little leak in my 96 Accord 2.2. The leak is ATF sure, perfect red color, similar to the dipstick one. Leak doesnt seem too bad to me, IMHO, I drove out of the place were the car is stored, idle it for about 30 minutes in park, and got about two drops on the floor.
Trans works PERFECT, to me at least. I say that because here we use Stadanrds. But trans doesnt slip, is pretty responsive and shift fast.

The question is, the car is stored in a 2 floor garage, so the cars needs to "cilmb" 2 floors every time I take it. Ramp is a bit sloppy and the car itself is quite heavy, really solid and good car, but this 2.2 strugles a bit there and need to push it a bit to do the ramps. Not sure if am doing the rigth thing, but select "1", fixed gear on the trans. Not using "D3 or D4", just "1" both, while going down and going up. So, is it the right way ? Can this effort hurt the transmission ?.
Because, the leak wasnt there a few month ago and the car has go for a ride just 3 or 4 times. I tend to drive it gently really.

Im pretty worried because here, AT trannys are some sort of black magic, almost repair shops and spare shops works with standards and I know only one place here that service AT but they were charging about 1,5 grand for a rebuilt labor (cannot get an spare) and costs go up a bit more.

Should I be worried about the leak ?. The last time I read the stick was right, both in colour and level.

trans dont do any noise nor nothing. Just a bit LAGGY to go from P no R or P to D. I guess thats normal. Again, dont know lot of this kind of transmissions. I read and watch vid on YT about how they work, fluid etc

Last question, what fluid should be added to the tranny ?. Honda dealership sells probably, but dont know if it will work with the 96 EXR 2.2 tranny. Also not sure i can be refill with different type of fluid. dont know what fluid is inside already. Perhaps is from Honda, prev owner take care a lot of this car. Hey, got 287.000 Km and look and drive like new. Not bad at all

Many thanks

cheers,

Pedro.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Teridian_II
Im pretty worried because here, AT trannys are some sort of black magic, almost repair shops and spare shops works with standards and I know only one place here that service AT but they were charging about 1,5 grand for a rebuilt labor (cannot get an spare) and costs go up a bit more.
Where's "here"?

From what you describe your trans will probably last another 100K KM. Chase down that tiny leak because it may get worse, but otherwise the trans is working exactly how it's supposed to, including the lag from P to R or D. Put it into 1 or leave it in one of the Ds going uphill...it doesn't make any difference. Shifting to a lower gear going downhill saves the brakes but that's really an issue driving in the mountains, not a parking garage.

The trans leak could be something as simple as a leaking trans cooler line. Have someone check it out. Tell your Honda dealer what car you have and ask for the correct fluid. They either have it or can get it.

Last edited by Roader; 08-31-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:50 PM
Almost A Senior Member

x2 on above,, the small leak could be a simple as a cooler line or a axle seal, do not let it go un repaired,,ask me how i know,,lol,,as i have a 96 sitting in the driveway with 2,,yes 2,,bad transmissions,,this will be the 4rth trans for this car and it does not even have 165000 miles,,no im not happy,,,

Old 09-01-2014, 05:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Where's "here"?
Argentina, Buenos Aires.

Many thanks for your advice. I'll try to contact the dealer ship. The car need another repairs also.

Can be solved without taking appart the tranny ?.

Leak (on the floor) is at the point where engine meets gearbox, but, hard to tell if the leak is exactly there or comes from another part and just drops there. I will make a visual inspection but the tranny is "oily" in general. Hard to tell. My concern is that the leak, IMHO, happen to get worse as time passes.

Thanks guys. Cheers.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by woody31
x2 on above,, the small leak could be a simple as a cooler line or a axle seal, do not let it go un repaired,,ask me how i know,,lol,,as i have a 96 sitting in the driveway with 2,,yes 2,,bad transmissions,,this will be the 4rth trans for this car and it does not even have 165000 miles,,no im not happy,,,

Well, that is really frigthening. But at least you can get spares easily and you have repair shops to rebuilt the tranny. Here is even worse because AT are sorta of rare things. Just a couple of years ago Honda started to sell AT and alos Toyota. Hondas with AT are CVT ones, I guess. Then some cheapo AT cars that are real Standard tranny with a "servo - clutch", OMG, trash. Real ATs are still RARE and expensive to fix and hard to tell a shop for that.

You need to have another try and get a good one, with some sort of warranty or buy it from a a repair rebuilt shop. The car deserves it, really good quality. Shame that getting cars of this "vintage" running is getting expensive. The automakers just willing you to buy the new one. Here Honda says, Well I dont have the technical info for your model anymore. We were asked to dump all the info in the trash. Sky stupid from Honda, really the dealer ship let me down. It will still accept the car for revision, but just for "quick reapairs". Complex ones ... not happening.

Cheers

Old 09-01-2014, 07:11 AM

We have a 96 2.2L automatic the hesitation from P to R or D sounds like mine. I consider it normal with those kind of miles. Should investigate the leak though you may need a new axle seal clean it up and try and find where its coming from.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Argentina, Buenos Aires.
Consider editing your profile details to show your location. Cars have different specs for different parts of the world.
Here Honda says, Well I don't have the technical info for your model anymore. We were asked to dump all the info in the trash.
Not good. That being the case, the fluid you need is called ATF-DW1 which is the latest synthetic, genuine Honda fluid, or ATF-Z1 which is the older, non-synthetic, genuine Honda fluid, and which your dealer may still stock. Accept no substitutes.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry, I guess Admins added it to my sign. My previous account has more info, but ... got a bit lazy to put it again LOL.

Honda is not the only dealer ship doing that. Ok, has no sense, but they told me that. They dont have the manuals, special tooling, etc anymore. They can fix only obvious things.

Example, the horn is not working, they say, well if it is simple we will fix that, but if its the steering wheel cabling, we are not doing that labor anymore. We dont have the electrical schemtaics for it.

Honda dealers in USA for example, get this car for service. Example, want my tranny leak fixed. They fix the tranny ?.But here the answer is a big NO !.

Honda sells actually the Accord, but got serious issues with imported spares, so even under warranty, they cannot get the spares as fast as they should. Eventually, you get the car fixed. Waiting a month for a rad ?. No so rare at all. Not sure if 2014 Accord is Brazilian made.

my car was hit when going out from the garage resulting in a damaged rear bumper. Still waiting the call for the dealership to confirm the bumper is here to send the car for a body work. Well .... cant blame Honda for that. Also, till they dont have the bumper in the workshop cant tell you the price ... well something like that

dealership = to deal with Honda LOL

Old 09-01-2014, 08:26 PM

Honda sells actually the Accord, but got serious issues with imported spares, so even under warranty, they cannot get the spares as fast as they should. Eventually, you get the car fixed. Waiting a month for a rad ?. No so rare at all.
There's a pretty hefty non-Mercosur tarrif + VAT, so I'm guessing the Honda dealers are paying > 50% on top of the part cost/shipping for imported spares.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I guess Admins added it to my sign. My previous account has more info, but ... got a bit lazy to put it again LOL.
Yea, I did that.

PS - the reason your old account wouldn't work, I think you've changed your e-mail address. The two accounts have two different e-mail addresses.

Quick Reply: Trans leak and questions 96 EXR 2.2 AT