General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:32 AM

I went through this on my '92 EX this winter and finally got it to work how I wanted it to. First set throttle cable freeplay to 10-12mm at throttlebody. Verify correct idle with engine at operating temp. Adjust, if needed, per JimBlake post above. With engine at operating temp, hold the arm at the transmission down with your finger/thumb (don't just watch it, you need to hold it). With other hand operate the throttle until the RPM just comes above idle. The arm at the trans should begin to move right at the RPM increase. Adjust trans cable as needed to achieve this. Test drive the car and check operation. If it still kicks in and out often (or sooner/easier than you would like) you can readjust trans cable up to 3mm tighter(shorter). Do this last step in small increments, road testing after each new adjustment. I ended up going 2mm over initial setting and rarely have the converter unlock on the highway, all shifting was improved as well as a nice fuel milage gain. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question

My wife's dad just got her a 92 Accord EX 4 door 4 cyl 4 speed auto and it will not lock up at all. I changed the top solenoids and still no lock up at all. No dash lights on at all except the ABS light and it only comes on once you start driving it and im almost sure its due to the bad CV joints. Day she got the car she blew the horn and the car would not shift out of gear and had no brake lights. Go figure, blow a horn fuse and no brakes lights and no shift out of park! Anyways I would really like any other ideas on why this thing would lock the converter. Trans shifts great and car runs like new but the RPM's are way to high in 4th and it's killing the mileage and if its anything like some GM cars it wont rout fluid to the trans cooler if its not locking up. I have put power to the solenoid with it unpluged from the car and it clicks when you power it so im wondering what powers it from the car? I can't find and fuse and wonder if the trans computer might be bad, anyone know what powers the lock up solenoid? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Unhappy Bad news

I tried adjusting the throttle cable and trans cables today and still no lock up. So I went next door with my tail between my legs and ask the guy running the transmission shop next to my shop and he believes it to be a bad converter. Buzz kill! I wish I had not dropped my ALLDATA account or id find out witch solenoid was lock up and witch was first gear and disconnect the one for lock up and run a test wire to that solenoid and fire power to it wile driving at 50 mph and see if it would lock. I just am not sure what one of the top pair is is the first gear switch. Kinda sad i liked that little car for buzzin round town. I just cant see putting 600.00 worth of parts and labor into a 500.00 car. I took it to 70 mph today and it was running around 3200 RPM's.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 PM

There's a sticky on here where you can download a pdf of the factory manual. That and some help from the boards will do just as well as an Alldata pass.
Mine wasn't locking up when I bought it off a couple I know, and they had no idea there was anything wrong. The mpg gain and smoother shifting at smaller throttle openings was very noticable to me. Who knows how long it was driven that way, but it's fun giving them crap for the things I've repaired on the car for no more than the cost of some beer and quality time in the garage.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a parts drawing for 1992.
#5 is the shift solenoid.
#7 is the lock-up solenoid.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Here's a parts drawing for 1992.
#5 is the shift solenoid.
#7 is the lock-up solenoid.
Dose it say what soil. is for lock up and what one is for first gear? #7 has 2 soil. Thanks for the info. I know on some GM's with out lock up there is no flow to the trans cooler untill the soil comes on.

Dave

Old 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

No, it doesn't say other than the entire part #7 is called the lock-up solenoid. This drawing is from on-line parts places, so it's not as much information as the actual Helm shop manual.
Look in the DIY section for a sticky thread about on-line manuals.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
No, it doesn't say other than the entire part #7 is called the lock-up solenoid. This drawing is from on-line parts places, so it's not as much information as the actual Helm shop manual.
Look in the DIY section for a sticky thread about on-line manuals.

Thanks

Dave

Old 03-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Talking back in the day......

All this lock up stuff relay makes me miss my 10 sec 87 GN
with its 4000 Non lock up stall converter! Set the brake and floor it pull the e-brake handle and pray it stays off the guard rail. Then it was grind my teeth until the traps and pray the head gaskets held, then it was pray I could get her slowed down from 130 mph by the 3 exit That really was a fun car!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Unhappy Found Problem

The converter is bad. I ran wires to the lock up soil. and it gets power when it should lock up. Only thing left it could be is the converter itself or something else internal. Thanks for the help. looks like I got one for the scrap yard.

Dave

Quick Reply: Transmission ?