General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

So the solenoid gets power... so what? Does it click? Does it change state (open/closed)?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I changed the soil. with a known good one. Once I installed it I powered it up and it clicked. Then I used my "Power Probe" test light and test leads, ran the wires into the inside of the car and it light up around 40-45 mph in 3rd gear and also in 4th. I held the throttle and just tapped the brake a little and the light went off. Then let off the brake and it came back on.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

OK so you did check the solenoid. I was just trying not to take that for granted.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
OK so you did check the solenoid. I was just trying not to take that for granted.
yup. I was hoping it was something that simple. I went and got one from a clean car that was hit hard in the side and bench checked it even though the one on the wife's car checked good. After checking the wiring I adjusted the cables, only thing I did not do is change the trans fluid. It looked and smelled good and with the filter being internal I thought it to be a waste of time and money. Thanks for your input.

Dave

Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Voodo Dance or Magic wand?

Anyone had any luck with magic wands or daces? For real though I own a repair shop but was in a head on crash last year and my help stole from me and left while I was out of work in physical therapy. I work on mostly Turbo Buick or cars with the GM S/C 3800 engines. I have 3 S/C Rivs and a 97 GTP. I also have a 99 olds silhouette van, S-10 pick up and my baby Toyota 4X4 V-6 pickup.

I had to drop my ALLDATA Acct, so Im running blind working on this Honda. Has anyone one changed a converter in one of these? any idea of flat rate hrs to R&R.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Look in the DIY section, there's a sticky-thread about on-line manuals. There's pdf files of the Helm shop manuals. That's the official factory book. But some of them are Brit versions with RHD & smaller engines. Some of them are not very well indexed, just a collection of 700 pdf files. But it'll have a REAL GOOD detailed section on dismantling the auto-box.

I don't like automatics, so I don't know too much about them. But it seems Honda is unlike others. Still, there's a chapter in the Helm book about rebuilding it.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Talking Worth a look, Thanks

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Look in the DIY section, there's a sticky-thread about on-line manuals. There's pdf files of the Helm shop manuals. That's the official factory book. But some of them are Brit versions with RHD & smaller engines. Some of them are not very well indexed, just a collection of 700 pdf files. But it'll have a REAL GOOD detailed section on dismantling the auto-box.

I don't like automatics, so I don't know too much about them. But it seems Honda is unlike others. Still, there's a chapter in the Helm book about rebuilding it.

Thanks I will give it a try. I was a tech at a Honda Cycle dealer for 10 years and the few automatic motor cycles they made were a pain in the butt to work on. Only trans work I have ever done on a Honda car has been shifters,clutch's and slave cyl.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:46 PM

I got a p0740 code. Its def is torque converter clutch solenoid circuit. does anyone know anything about this code? I am new to this website btw!! I do have a 2000 honda accord ex coupe 6 cyl

Old 03-23-2010, 02:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation Place to start......

I don't know if your trans is anything like mine but first thing I did was unplug the solenoid from the car and apply power to it and listened for it to "click" then I took it off and cleaned it and bench tested it with air. It checked good but I changed it out anyways. You need to make sure you have the same set up as my 92 4 cyl. before you do anything and be sure and unplug it from the car as not to back feed the computer and fry anything. A few post back is info on manuals id start there first. You might have a completely different set up. You might get lucky and have a bad fuse or brake light switch or something simple. Good luck.

Dave

Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 PM

Hey thanks for the info I will check on the manual and make sure. Yeah I don't want to fry anything! Thanks again

Quick Reply: Transmission ?