General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Default Transmission

I have a 2013 honda Accord EX-l V6 coupe and when there is a certain point at which the transmission doesn't feel as smooth as it should be. Sometimes when I am at a speed where it is trying to decide which gear it should be it, the transmission feels a little rough until I get to a faster speed. It slight vibration that I can feel in the car and when I pick up speed it is smooth again. Any ideas

Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i know its new, but did u check the fluid level?

Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 PM

I am wondering if it is the cylinder deactivation as well. My new accord v6 and 2012 odyssey feel the same when this occurs...

Old 12-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Yinzer
I am wondering if it is the cylinder deactivation as well. My new accord v6 and 2012 odyssey feel the same when this occurs...
That would be my thoughts also.

Btw: Welcome to the forum.

For the OP, refer to this link regarding the Variable Cylinder Management on the V6.
Honda Worldwide | Technology Picture Book | VCM

Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 AM

I have the economy feature turned off, which deactivate the vcm

Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 PM

I just picked up a 2013 EL-L V6 w/NAV DEMO from the dealer with 5000 miles on it, and it sounds like it is doing the same thing. It is very annoying to me as everything else (mechanical) about the car is wonderful. It does this both with ECO mode on and off. I am concerned as the dealership has been driving and would have assumed they knew about it and tried to correct it. I will be taking it in to be looked at - not something i appreciate doing for a car i have had a few days, but i have faith in Honda they will correct it.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by pwk1967
I just picked up a 2013 EL-L V6 w/NAV DEMO from the dealer with 5000 miles on it, and it sounds like it is doing the same thing. It is very annoying to me as everything else (mechanical) about the car is wonderful. It does this both with ECO mode on and off. I am concerned as the dealership has been driving and would have assumed they knew about it and tried to correct it. I will be taking it in to be looked at - not something i appreciate doing for a car i have had a few days, but i have faith in Honda they will correct it.
As an update I took this to the dealer and explained how this occurs when cruising at speeds/RPMs such as: 51/1500, 57/1700, 18/1600 with ECO mode on and likewise at 38/1500, 47/1800 with ECO mode off. At these speeds there is a signficantly higher level of vibration through the gas pedal, as if the engine is lugging and VCM is also on while its vibrations are not being cancelled out much/any by the motor mounts. I was told this was a feature of the engine/model and there is nothing the service department can do about it.

The sales person who drove it as a demo for 5000 miles claims he never noticed it, and I believe him as for some people it does not seem to bother them. I have a friend who has the same car and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Since it is less prevalant with ECO mode off I leave it that way, which is very dissapointing because the higher MPG was a key decision factor in purchasing the Accord over other models. Not sure yet how much difference MPG will be with ECO off. VCM still seems to kick on in this mode contrary to what some people claim in some of these forums, perhaps that is the case with other models.
I think this would be much less an issue for me if the car would down-shift sooner.

I have a case open with Honda in hopes that with enough complaints they can tweak how all this works together to reduce the vibrations in these scenarios.