General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Transmission advice

I have a '97 4 cyn EX with 139k miles. Never had the tranny fluid changed. Discussed the issue with my mechanic. He said that some transmission shops have told him that in my case it may be better to leave things alone if I have no problems. He continued to say that he was told when the fluid is changed with such high mileage, the detergents in the new fluid may actually cause slipping.

Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ray

Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You can only get part of your fluid out at home as you can’t drain the torque convertor. The transmission shops have a flushing machine and many people say that can damage the transmission and it changes the fluid in the convertor also. When the dealerships change ATF as part of maintenance they generally just change the quarts that come out with the drain plug. People on here have posted a procedure that flushes the transmission by draining, adding new, then driving the vehicle and repeating the procedure. It is the same procedure that is the owner manual of the newer Hondas to flush the transmission if you had to use a non Honda ATF just to get you home.

I found out one of the Honda dealerships I go to uses a flushing machine like the Transmission shops which makes me wonder what the facts are.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

I *THINK* that part of the reason why flushing machines get a bad rep, is that a shop (non-Honda-dealer) isn't gonna dedicate a machine to using HONDA brand ATF, so it's got Dexron, along with some extra solvents & stuff that the tranny doesn't like.

A Honda dealer might just take the same equipment, but use it with actual Honda ATF & don't add the strange solvents, etc...

Another possibility... Some flushing machines might have their own pump (bad). While some machines simply use the ATF hoses (to/from the radiator) and allow the trans to pump it's own fluid (good).

I've also seen a flushing procedure where you disconnect the ATF hoses, dump one to a drain bucket, fill the other hose with a big bucket of fresh fluid, and just run 12 quarts of fresh ATF($$) through the trans.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

"fill the other hose with a big bucket of fresh fluid, and just run 12 quarts of fresh ATF"
That is so simple. , I find, most rumors turn out to something like you mentioned using the wrong fluid. I have to do my 2003 EX and I think I will try that method. Does it matter which line is the inlet or outlet.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Well, yes it matters. The tranny's internal pumps will pump fluid OUT of one hose & suck IN through the other hose. Problem is I don't know which hose is which. (My cars all have 3 pedals on the floor.)

Old 07-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

KRIS: Let me know how that goes..I need to change trans fluid in the 95 and the 07. I brought home a case of from work but maybe I need another.....

Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Seems to me the easiest way to change ATF is just drain & fill. But that's when you never let it get dirty enough to need multiple drain/fill cycles. I'd only do it the hard way if the fluid is dirty.