Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Advice on Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Default Advice on Transmission

Hi,

I am new to this group. I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to change my Honda Accord's 1993 transmission from A/T to Manual.

This car has low mileage about 7500 miles and I have already made improvements like full cat-back system, headers and air intake system.

I need second opinion on this as my mechanic advised that it would be fine to do it. He also told me that I could get a used one from ebay or junkyard and buy other stuffs like clutch, brake and gas pedals as brand new and I would save money.

I know if I would get a new tranny for myself would cost me a lot plus the labor, hence my mechanic gave some suggestions. And I need yours. I am afraid if I do the conversion or change it might spoil the engine or even shorten the life span of the engine or tranny.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Advice on Transmission

hey welcome to the forum. i definately recommend changing your auto to a manual. there is only one problem with it.......its really hard. you wont sacrifice any reliability or life span if its done right though.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:58 PM

Thank you very much Lightshow for the reply.

After more than a week of reflection of whether to convert or not, I have decided not to because it might be too costly and it would be better if I just get a new car that is manual or stick.

Anyways, thanks again for helping me decide on this one.

Kind regards,
Luke

Old 02-22-2006, 08:37 PM

I have owned 5+ cars and all have been manuals! I couldn't imaging an automatic in my car.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:05 AM

manual transmittion doesn't harm your engine, unless your driving habbits change, and you tend to switch at higher rpms, and drive the car a little more harsch then before. otherwise, a manual tranny is a good idea.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:44 PM
six03e
Unregistered

Get rid of the Autotragic and go to manual.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:11 PM

In my opinion Automatics are almost as useless as t*ts on a dog... however if you're talking a 93 swap from auto-manual then it's really not cost effective unless you do the work yourself, I mean you figure your transmission alone used is going to run, what like $400? Labor @ approx $500.00? you're at $900.00 and that doesn't include the shift linkage, pedals, possible new center console, shifter or cables. So we're up to about & $1200.00 is my guess, now a 93 accord 2 door SE with options books at $5245 for high book value (dealer sale price) according to Kelly Blue Book, now let's say you bought it for that price a year ago or something.... you're now at $6445 into the car and all you gained was a manual transmission which drops the value of your re-sale by about $300.00, so In my opinion, find one that's a manual that you want and sell and/or trade yours in, you'll save money ultimately and you can get EXACTLY what you want if you don't have it already... FYI, private party value for that same car in Average condition (I.E. Not perfect) is roughly 3365.00, so just a thought (I was going to do this to my 94 civic about a week ago... *L* yeah decided not to)