General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Default Transmission Control Unit

I think ive posted this subject on here before, but here it goes again. i have a 91 accord lx, and recently it has been running strange. On certain occasions like today the (S) light is on on the dash, but the button isnt engaged. What is wrong with this thing? Its acceleration is horrible, and it wont speed up much past 50...ive been told it is the TCU, but im not very farmiliar with that part, so any advice is wanted.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:30 PM
jary
Unregistered
Default RE: Transmission Control Unit

Its your TCU. When the "S" light is on the tranny is in safemode, 1st & 3rd gears only and you have to shift manually to get into 1st gear. I just replaced mine on my 90 accord. Buy a rebuilt one and make sure the numbers match. i bought mine on ebay for $225.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:55 AM

how hard is it to install, cuz im not to farmiliar with the transmission. And where does it go?

Old 11-16-2005, 02:32 PM
jary
Unregistered

Very easy to install. Its located in passengerside floorboard (angled part closest to engine), pull carpet back loosen 4 screws and pull panel out, Tcu is on the right and is held in place by 3 - 10mm bolts and will have a number on it that goes something like 28100-PXO-A03-M1, just make sure you get a replacement that has the same number. I may have one that fits your car, PM me.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Administrator

thanks for the input jary!

Old 11-18-2005, 03:53 PM

i'm not sure that is correct

it means that theres some sort of problem with transmission to be diagnosed - it doesnt nessecerily mean that TCU needs to be replaced.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:08 PM
jayallen40
Unregistered

I am having the same problems with my 91 accord. The speed omoter cuts in and out also, is that related. I have found if I disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to an hour it resets the computer and it shifts fine for a few days but it progresses bact to being stuck in either 1st and 3rd or 1st and 4th. does this sound like the same problem? Is there any way to test the TCU before buying a new one?

Old 11-20-2005, 02:02 AM

yea i didnt mention that my spedometer cuts out too, for a few seconds then comes back. So i guess we have the same problem...

Old 12-06-2005, 08:37 PM

is the tcu. been there, done that. around 75 dollars used. dont pay more than 80 dollars.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

do not replace any parts without properly diagnosing what is wrong. u said u were told it was the TCU did a shop diagnose it ???.it is easy for people to say replace this , replace that when they are using other's people money ,,now it could be that u might indeed need a TCU but diagnose first to make sure that way u will spend your money once and properly .............pull out what code the TCU has and post it here ...

Quick Reply: Transmission Control Unit