General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission failed, need help with what to do next.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Default Transmission failed, need help with what to do next.

Hello all! I have a 1997 Honda Accord LX autoamtic, The dash says 11,440,000 however many miles, but I found a receipt in the glove box from a a mechanic shop and it said the car had 20,000,000 and something miles on it. So I'm not sure what happened I might have gotten screwed over when I bought it but I got it on craigslist so I can't do much. But I've had the car for about 10 months and the whole time I've had it, it seemed to have some transmission problems. Really jerky shifting, slippage, etc. About a few days ago something started making a whining noise when I accelerated, not sure what it was i continued driving but only a mile or 2 to work and back. Yesterday I went to go get gas and as I stopped at a stop sign the car stopping moving and wouldn't move anymore, tried shifting into lower gears and reverse, nothing worked. My Father came and toed me home. I'm assuming the transmission is now completely dead. My question to you guys is how do I go about replacing it? Should I purchase a new transmission from online or something and have it installed? Or should I go to a junk yard and pull one off of something? or have mine rebuilt? Not sure what to do... or if it's even worth fixing? maybe I should just sell it or scrap it or something? The car is in excellent condition no rust and very minor scratches and such. interior is good. The engine burns oil but that's no biggie, I think. Not much else is wrong with it, I think I need new spark plugs and spark plug wires but other than some minor things shes still good for a while I'd say. I just need to know some info. Thanks for any help!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

At the end of the day you are going to have to make the decision.

Me, the trans in this gen (94-97) are pretty solid. So I personally would go with a bone yard trans without much if any worries

Call around and check prices for all of the options and then go with what you think is the best - warranty vs price.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

There are some honest mechanics that know people that source them pretty good used transmissions or engines. One of my mechanic friends usually has someone locate the part (after he makes a call) and then he installs it. -- You might also ask some local independent shops to see if they can find a good used transmission for a good price for you.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You could source it yourself pretty cheap. On my local Craig's List there's usually two or three wrecked Accords, 94 - 97 vintage being parted out, with transmissions priced from $200 to $300. If you look at one that still runs at least you can put it through the gears even if you can't drive it. Poorman is right: this vintage automatics are pretty bulletproof and there are plenty of good used ones around for a fraction of the price of a rebuild.

Swapping it out yourself should take no more than a day on the ground:

"http://honda-tech.com/showpost.php?p=44916843&postcount=4"

Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice! Moneys tight so I'm not going to a rebuilt. I called around a couple of transmission shops local to me and I found one that'd fit my car for $150, I'm going to pay my brother to install it since that'll be cheaper than an a professional. Thanks everyone!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

I know money it tight....PLEASE spend the money for Honda Trans fluid. Yes it is ~$8 a qt but if you use something else you will regret it.

Might also think about new seals - front pump and the two output seals. Then think about the rear main....do you ever want to see that seal again...I wouldn't.

I'd drain the converter and fill with fresh Honda trans fluid. Then do one drain and fill on the trans. So 6~8 qts of Honda Trans fluid should be more than enough.

Download the manual (if you don't have one already) and be sure to adjust the throttle control cable once the new/used trans is installed - link to manual here-> https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...threads-40780/