General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid covering Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Default Transmission fluid covering Engine

Hello Forum,

This is my first time posting so if my issue has already been posted please direct me to the right place because the search only shows so many results for transmission fluid and to many post to scan through, thanks. I have a 98 Accord EX that just had it's transmission rebuilt for the second time. First time was was in 2005. This time I had it done by a questionable mechanic. I received the car back in May with it running fine. Last month I noticed there was a leak that was obviously tanny fluid. I believe I found the leak and corrected it by tighten the bolt on top. Since then I have not seen anymore fluid. I topped off the fluid and afraid I might have overfilled. Today my check engine light came on and noticed there was a little smoke coming from under the hood and the temp gauge was just fine. When I got home the complete passenger side of the top engine was covered in transmission fluid. The bottom of the engine is saturated with it. How bad is it and what action should I take next?

Attached Thumbnails Transmission fluid covering Engine-imag0585.jpg   Transmission fluid covering Engine-imag0587.jpg   Transmission fluid covering Engine-imag0588.jpg   Transmission fluid covering Engine-imag0589.jpg  

Last edited by dabro22; 08-24-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: corrected sentence
Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 PM

I would drain the transmission fluid and start over to make sure you have the right amount in there and it doesn't bubble up all over again. Try to sop up all the fluid on the engine with shop towels as best you can, and then refill the fluid.

The MSDS for transmission fluid (this type at least, I'm sure most are in this range) says it is not highly flammable and has a flash point of 400°F, Chevron ATF has a flash point of 325°F, and some engine paints are in the 350-400°F range, so I don't think it will burst into flame once you've soaked up the majority of it. Most likely it will get heated by the engine and simply burn off/evaporate. Try cleaning everything you can get to with some Simple Green after you've wiped it down with shop towels and you'll likely be safe.
http://www.speedway.com/AboutUs/Prod...0130SPE012.pdf

That's just what I'd do if it were my car, but if you aren't comfortable with that then I'm sure a shop would be able to clean it up for you, though you'd have to pay a pretty steep hourly rate for a simple cleaning

Last edited by Peli; 08-24-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:29 PM

I would use some short of degreaser and then hose it of, start the car and check for fluid leak and see where it's leaking from ? (Try not to make a mess in your drive way) You may have to add some fluid. Let us know where the leak is, but try not to drive it because if you are running low on fluid you will burn up the transmission.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 PM

sounds like a overfill and it shot out of the vent tube on top of the the tranny

Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tek310
sounds like a overfill and it shot out of the vent tube on top of the the tranny
Yep. Very possible. Do a drain and fill to correct amount.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM

You should have it scan for code.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 PM

I don't think he needs to scan for a code, it's most likely just a case of overfilling and he should drain it and refill with the correct amount of fluid.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:51 AM

Install a transmission cooler if you don't have one. If you have one install a bigger one. The transmission fluid is probably coming out of the transmission vent hose.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Talking Thanks

To everyone that replied, thank you very much for your suggestions and knowledge. I was able to clean the engine today and drain the fluid so that the correct amount was showing on the dipstick. I should have known better but got a little over cautious because of the leak I had found. Here is the funny part, the transmission is now shifting way better and smoother than it was before. All I can say for that is AWESOME, hopefully it is not the calm before the storm. If you have any thoughts on why this maybe I am all ears. Check engine light is still on, but hoping it will reset. I am going to also get the scan for safe measure. Thanks again everyone.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by dabro22
To everyone that replied, thank you very much for your suggestions and knowledge. I was able to clean the engine today and drain the fluid so that the correct amount was showing on the dipstick. I should have known better but got a little over cautious because of the leak I had found. Here is the funny part, the transmission is now shifting way better and smoother than it was before. All I can say for that is AWESOME, hopefully it is not the calm before the storm. If you have any thoughts on why this maybe I am all ears. Check engine light is still on, but hoping it will reset. I am going to also get the scan for safe measure. Thanks again everyone.
If my car magically gets better I usually don't question it
Good idea getting a scan just for safe measure. It's shifting better now than when you got it back in May after the rebuild? Maybe the tranny just really enjoyed all the sweet new fluid you've been pouring through it

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid covering Engine