General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fuid

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Default Transmission fuid

Ok so I pretty much thought it was a myth that you have to run this super expensive transmission fluid and Hondas must have special Honda trans fluid but I guess I'm asking for some educated opinions on this. I'm running cheap walmart brand Supetech trans fluid in my 97 2.2l. It does say it's for Hondas and other vehicles. I always keep it in D4 so it's in gear like normal. I'm experiencing some slight trans issues like some minor slipping between gears under normal driving conditions (worse when trans is cold). The funny thing is it doesn't do it when I punch it. When I punch it it pulls all the way to 6k and shifts great. Also if I punch it and then let off instead of shifting right away it kinda falls on its face like engine brakes and has a delay in upshift. I hope you understand what I mean. All in all its not to bad. It pretty much consistently slips a bit when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd but if I punch it it doesn't do it. I know some of you are gonna say get a new trans but I was wondering if it could be the fluid or maybe there's anything else I could do to make it more responsive or just a little better. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No scientific studies or reports, but through many posts reporting fixes w/ Honda ATF, the consensus is that Honda ATF is worth the small premium.

However, there is no garuntee that changing to ATF will remedy your problems.

Is Check Engine Light On or D4 light flashing? If yes, get the codes which may provide some answers.

good luck

Old 03-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Most folks advocating the "All ATFs are the same" mantra are missing one key point. Automatic transmissions have internal wet clutches which are designed to operate properly when bathed in a lubricant bath with a specific friction level (some ATFs are more slippery than others by design, this has nothing to do with the quality of the fluid). If the fluid is too slippery for the application then the clutches don't grab properly and wear out prematurely. Conversly, if the ATF is not slippery enough, the clutches are damaged when they grab too quickly.

Long story short, if you drive a Honda, or a Chrysler, or a Mercedes, or a Martian Moon Buggy, use an ATF certified for use in your vehicle (this is the only way to be sure the ATF has the correct coefficient of friction), and never-EVER use a generic ATF, you will damage your transmission (unless you happen to get very-very lucky and buy a multi-purpose ATF which just happens to have the correct amount of "slip").

Last edited by shipo; 03-16-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Most folks advocating the "All ATFs are the same" mantra are missing one key point. Automatic transmissions have internal wet clutches which are designed to operate properly when bathed in a lubricant bath with a specific friction level (some ATFs are more slippery than others by design, this has nothing to do with the quality of the fluid). If the fluid is too slippery for the application then the clutches don't grab properly and wear out prematurely. Conversly, if the ATF is not slippery enough, the clutches are damaged when they grab too quickly.

Long story short, if you drive a Honda, or a Chrysler, or a Mercedes, or a Martian Moon Buggy, use an ATF certified for use in your vehicle (this is the only way to be sure the ATF has the correct coefficient of friction), and never-EVER use a generic ATF, you will damage your transmission (unless you happen to get very-very lucky and buy a multi-purpose ATF which just happens to have the correct amount of "slip").

The stuff I put in there said it was for Hondas (except cvt) and some other vehicles, not all other vehicles. So your saying I should use the Honda stuff? I totally get that you never know for sure that it's gonna fix it till you try it though.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 95Accord2.7L
The stuff I put in there said it was for Hondas (except cvt) and some other vehicles, not all other vehicles. So your saying I should use the Honda stuff? I totally get that you never know for sure that it's gonna fix it till you try it though.
A lot of "universal" ATFs say they're okay for Hondas, but they aren't; simple as that. Unless the ATF is certified exclusively for Honda automatic transmissions, then it is a pretty good bet it is the wrong fluid.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I have used Valvoline max life synthetic trans fluid in a pinch,,with good results,,however having just spent $2400.00 on a new transmission,,it was worth the extra $$ to get the Honda trans fluid. Do not use any form of generic fluid,,you are running on borrowed time.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:46 AM

I will change it asap. Thanks!