General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission question on 98 v6 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Aurmon
Unregistered
Default Transmission question on 98 v6 coupe

Hey everbody,

I was wondering if someone could give me some insight a situation that i'm stuck in.

I have a 98 Accord ex v6 Coupe, and I took the car into a shop to fix a leaky transmission.

Well, what they're telling me is that the axle is bad and I need to get that fixed because it might be causing a vibration in the transmission that might be causing it to leak.

I don't know a hell of a lot about how this works, so I wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions or advice on this.

The main thing that I want to know is whether the information provided to me from the shop is bogus or not?

Old 09-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Transmission question on 98 v6 coupe

does the axle shake under acceleration? does the car click when turning. those are the two signs of a bad axle. a bad axle seal will leak at the axle connection but the axle doesnt need to be replaced if that is the problem. and will make a huge difference in cost.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

If the axle seal is leaking replacing the axle will not help.
The real problem is the differential bearings going bad allowing the axle to move against the seal.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: hondadude

If the axle seal is leaking replacing the axle will not help.
The real problem is the differential bearings going bad allowing the axle to move against the seal.

what he said....i know from personal experience.......

Old 09-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Aurmon
Unregistered

Thanks for all the helpful info!

The car doesn't click when turning. I really don't feel any type of vibration as I'm driving the car. That's what I don't understand. I'm being told that the axle is causing some kind of vibration but the car feels fine when I drive it.

However what you described with the axle does sound like the problem I have with an 1989 Honda Accord. When I turn, it makes a loud clicking noise only when I press on the gas though.

Could this be the differential bearrings or the axle.

THANX.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:26 PM

take the 89 out to a parking lot and turn hard in a slow circle in one direction then in the other, if it starts clicking then most likely you have a bad cv joint (cv axle) and it needs replaced, if that breaks when you're driving down the road then you'll be dead and unable to move anywhere.

If your other car seems to drive fine and doesn't make any noise I'd probably take it to a different shop that's knowledgeable about honda's and have them take a look at it, don't tell them what the other shop thinks just pretend like you don't know anything and ask for an estimate