General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission rebuild. Do you REALLY need to reinstall a new filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Default Transmission rebuild. Do you REALLY need to reinstall a new filter?

I'm rebuilding an automatic transmission from a 2000 Accord 2.3l.

For some reason the master rebuild kit don't come with the filter???

Anyway, I'm going to mount an external filter so is there a point to installing a new filter?

FTR: here is the old filter in the black plastic, and no it can't be gutted.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission rebuild. Do you REALLY need to reinstall a new filter?-honda%2520tear%2520down%2520008_zpsxtqjcvl8.jpg  
Old 02-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

How many miles on the used filter and what kind of shape was the transmission in when the tranny was torn down?

Old 02-05-2015, 04:46 PM

The 1/2 clutches were TOAST, and the others were pretty bad. 150k miles.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

I would definitely replace the filter.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:58 PM

I gotta wonder though, why wasn't a filter included in the MASTER rebuild kit. Is there a kit above master, like maybe the GOD kit?........lol.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:53 PM
Almost A Senior Member

You MUST replace the filter. If your kit did not come with one , it is not a master kit nor is it a genuine honda kit.Save the trouble of doing this 2x,,get a filter,,DO NOT try to clean and reuse the old one,,

Old 02-05-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by woody31
You MUST replace the filter. If your kit did not come with one , it is not a master kit nor is it a genuine honda kit.Save the trouble of doing this 2x,,get a filter,,DO NOT try to clean and reuse the old one,,
Oh, I can guarantee you that the filter cannot simply be cleaned as I cut it apart.

On this filter there is no steel screen that you can clean with a little carb cleaner.

The Honda filter has something that looks like wool fabric inside it, and it WON'T come out.

Also, the kit is listed as a master kit..........check out the link below.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/80006E.html

Old 02-06-2015, 10:34 AM

Change it. They are a blend of fabric, special foam and webbing/backing. Also, ensure that the network of micro hydraulic ports are cleaned out before reassembly. Sometimes it takes a small thread of copper wire to clean them...

Old 02-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Another thing to do, the transmission fluid cooler in the radiator should be flushed before installing the rebuilt transmission.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Another thing to do, the transmission fluid cooler in the radiator should be flushed before installing the rebuilt transmission.
Thanks. I already did the flushing of the radiator cooler, and the torque convertor.

I picked up the filter this morning, and it was actually the right one.

However they didn't have the right gasket maker [no case gaskets in the kit], so I used "the Right Stuff" which was recommended on another forum.

I had Hondabond ordered, but the place I ordered from botched the order so it won't be in for another 2 weeks so we will see how TRS works out.

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild. Do you REALLY need to reinstall a new filter?