General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission service 2006 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Transmission service 2006 Accord

ORIGINAL: longhornjohn

deserthonda:
Are Honda autotrans converters different than GM and Ford converters? It use to be that the only way you could drain their converters would be to remover the converter drain plug. I believer their present converters can only be drained by removing the converter. If Honda's autotrans is built this way then the converter oil can't be flushed out. Personally, I hope they can be flushed out because I don't want the band and clutch material residue staying in the unit.

Hondas torque convertors CANNOT be drained,, for the life of me i do not know why they did ( do ) not istall a drain plug on it as well..you are correct , the new fluid will mix with the old fluid,,, it is like doing an oil change and not replacing the filter ,the new oil will mix with the oil oil still in the filter ..
Honda does not reccomend flushing the transmission.. all they reccomend is that you do a drain and refill at the required maintanace schedule ,,it used to be 15k miles all the times on AT and 30k miles on Manual trannies on the older cars ,but now they say that you can wait longer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,For as critical as sensitive trannies are internally with all the valves, i would invest the 30 dollars and replace tranny fluid still every 15k or once a year ...make sure to use only Honda ATF-Z1 ,, it does make a difference over the regular DEXTRON III OR IV

some shops do a complete tranny flush where supposely they drain even the fluid in the torque convertor, i have never used a machine to do that,, so i cannot personally say how good of a job it does,,,,,,,,,perhaps another forum member that works at a shop that use that machine might be more familiar and have more info on that than i do ..but working at dealers for all those years all i ever did was a drain and refill as required by honda

Old 07-30-2006, 01:34 AM
wideopen
Unregistered
Default RE: Transmission service 2006 Accord

Excellent Info guys ...I've got to Service the 03' V6 later this week..just Glad I don't have to let Honda rip me off.

Thanks