General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 05:46 PM
S3t
Unregistered
Default Transmission Swap

Hello everyone, Here's my first post. I have a 1998 EX Accord with quit the milage actually (at about 180K call me sentimental but I just don't feel like trading it out) The bad thing about it is ... it's an automatic transmission. I have asked a few 'mechanics' if it was possible or even a good idea to swap it out with a 6 speed -short shift- manual and I get that stare. You know that - just buy a new car already- stare. Again, perhaps I'm just sentimental.. but I'd really like to make my 98 reborn. First step is for now... manual tranny, i don't believe in investing the time and money for performance upgrading an automatic :-(. Anyway, any thoughts would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Default RE: Transmission Swap

Welcome to the forums! Manual swaps on hondas are actually something that is quite do-able. You would need a transmission that would bolt up to the motor. Is it a 4 or 6 cyl? Then you would need the shifter, shift cables, clutch pedal, clutch master and slave cylinders, the clutch lines, probably the transmission motor mount, a clutch, and some misc. hardware. I think you would need the different CV axles as well. It's not a walk in the park, but it would be a project that one could do with enough planning and most everything would bolt right up.

Old 06-25-2006, 02:41 AM
S3t
Unregistered

Thanks mbo1985. It is a 4l VTEC... I think I might actually try taking on this project. It will be the first time I ever work such a large project on my own car though. lol perhaps I should consider having it done :-p Do you know of any online forums with walkthroughs for this?

Old 06-25-2006, 10:32 AM

you could try searching the archives of honda-tech.com. There's usually some good info on big projects like this. If you have any friends who mess with cars, I'm sure they would help you out.