General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried to save a few bucks and almost doubled the cost!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Default RE: Tried to save a few bucks and almost doubled the cost!

ORIGINAL: kris_loehr

TexasHonda:
I think you are going to find out the crank pulley is wearing on the timing belt on start up like my 1995 Accord did. It only happened on start up with the AC on. I was shocked not to find the compressor clutch bad but the wear on the timing belt cover instead. I am at least a week away from getting mine back together to see if a new cover makes a difference. The cover was moving around on the stops built into the cover bolts.
So the cover was causing that squeal? My 93 recently started with a chirp at startup, but if I have theAC on it will squeal until I cut the AC off.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I found why my engine was frozen. A real bonehead; I forgot to remove the balance shaft temporary fix bolt. No damage and I finished putting things back together. Started up and squeal is still there. I was unable to remove the woodruff key to remove the timing belt sprocket and see if it's wearing against the oil pump cover.

I've found that bumping the starter reduces the squeal on startup and I'll live w/ the problem for a while.

regards

Old 11-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

jeepwm69:
I think the AC puts a load on the pulley and with other ageing parts makes it rub. I will know more when I have it finished with the new timing belt covers. I was told once from the mechanic that did the new car preps at the Honda dealer that you can actually ruin the crankshaft main bearing if you tighten the AC belt way too tight.

TexasHonda:
I would take off the drive belts to find out what is making your noise.

Noises are hard to determine. What is happing on my vehicle may not be the same as others especially without hearing your noise. An old mechanic trick is taking a long pry bar or screwdriver and putting it where you think the noise is coming from then put your ear to the handle. It sounds strange but just be careful with moving parts. The tool has to tough the area. It works good for finding out which wheel bearing is bad and things like that.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: kris_loehr

TexasHonda:
I would take off the drive belts to find out what is making your noise.

Noises are hard to determine. What is happing on my vehicle may not be the same as others especially without hearing your noise. An old mechanic trick is taking a long pry bar or screwdriver and putting it where you think the noise is coming from then put your ear to the handle. It sounds strange but just be careful with moving parts. The tool has to tough the area. It works good for finding out which wheel bearing is bad and things like that.
I removed both accessory belts and noise is still there. It's coming from inside timing belt cover.

regards

Old 11-16-2008, 02:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

TexasHonda:
All I can think to tell you on the noise is next time you have the timing belt cover off look for anything with signs of getting hot or rubbing. The tensioner for the balance shaft on my Accord had a light rusty look to it and when I pushed down and spun it I could feel the bearing was going bad. By the noise you describe I would be thinking plastic or rubber rubbing on something making the noise. Bearing are pretty loud. My top timing belt cover on close inspection was quite warped. There should be some visual evidence of the noise.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:45 AM

I did not see any evidence of rubbing against the TB cover.

I reinstalled the crankshaft pulley w/o the timing cover in place and turned the engine by hand. I could not hear any contact.

Reinstalled timing belt cover and repeated timing belt tension procedure. Still could not detect any noise.

Startup -Noise.

I've concluded it must be the timing belt sprocket contacting the engine housing, but this is minor mystery.

I'm waiting for another long weekend (3-day weekend) to try again.

Upside is I'm getting real good at removing/installing all the components for this job.

Thanks for input.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

I did not see any evidence of rubbing against the TB cover.

I reinstalled the crankshaft pulley w/o the timing cover in place and turned the engine by hand. I could not hear any contact.

Reinstalled timing belt cover and repeated timing belt tension procedure. Still could not detect any noise.

Startup -Noise.

I've concluded it must be the timing belt sprocket contacting the engine housing, but this is minor mystery.

I'm waiting for another long weekend (3-day weekend) to try again.

Upside is I'm getting real good at removing/installing all the components for this job.

Thanks for input.
Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on yours? Mine just started doing this about 8-10 months ago. I've got 336K on mine and it's all original except for the clutch slave cylinder and the raditor, so I really am just planning on driving the car till it dies, and then sending it to the scrapper. Sooner or later I'm going to lose a timing belt (last replaced at 180K), or the clutch (original and was driven hard when I was young and dumb) but I don't want something cheap and easy to kill my car. I've been debating on having the tbelt done, but since the body is trashed (3X's totalled out)and the cluch is bound to go sooner or later, I just really can't justify the expense. I've got a 2000 Accord with @120K on it sitting in the driveway that I bought a little overa year ago that will become my daily driver when this 93 dies.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:53 PM

It has ~225K miles.

I hope your 2000 has a timing belt change. It's due at 105K miles.

good luck

Old 11-16-2008, 06:04 PM

Yep, the 00 Accord has had all scheduled maint including a timing belt at 105K. My mom bought it new and had it until 102K when I bought it in Feb of 2007, thinking that my 93 was on its last leg, but the 93 just keeps on ticking along. Still gets 30mpg, uses/leaks no oil, and I'm thinking about biting the bullet and having the timing belt replaced and just keeping it on the road. I travel about 3K/month for work and they reimburse me the govt milage rate so it's been a real gem for me over the last 7 years since I took this job.
I got the 93 new and have been pretty meticulous about keeping the fluids changed, but I've put off the timing belt thinking that putting $550 in a timing belt and then having to put out $7-800 more for a clutch wouldn't make much sense given the shape of the body and the rest of the car would still have 300K+ on it.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:18 AM

The garage should have absorbed the whole cost of everything involved , thats what we pay for results, the garage sais they had good results, they bought the parts and put em in , they are poor mech if you ask me, should have compared parts , they are suppose to be pro,s, i think you need a different mech and id file a claim in small claims court for the added expence, this to me is rediculous.
Frank Allen

Quick Reply: Tried to save a few bucks and almost doubled the cost!