General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble changing brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Default Trouble changing brake pads

I have a 2013 Accord EX-L. I'm attempting to do my first brake pad change (front only) on the car and I am having issues.

The new pads I got (from autozone) just your standard Ceramic replacement have different grooves at the very top and bottom (the grooves that fit into the retainer clips) and as a result I am having trouble fitting them into the retainer clips.

Which brings me to my next problem. The stock retainer clips that were on the car should be replaced by the new set of retainer clips that came with my brake pads. The problem is the new set of retainer clips are a different style than the old ones and the new ones don't fit into the caliper housing nearly as nice as the old ones. But when I do get the new retainer clips to fit in there the new pads will not fit into the new retainer clips. I've tried moving the retainer clips around, switching them to the other side and still the pads won't fit.) I even tried leaving the old retainer clips on and putting the new pads in but the new pads will not fit in, they seem a bit too tall or wide (the groove part only)

Has anyone run into this problem before? I've changed brake pads on other cars and never had a problem.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

If you are having problems fitting them, I'd return the pads and get another brand.

Check that a brand like Wagner thermoquiet has a similar bracket to the stock accord setup, or go with OEM brake pads. FYI, brake pads (like motor oil) will cause a huge discussion on what is the "best".

Old 07-18-2015, 02:47 PM

I can do that but I'm still curious why a well known brand like Duralast which is the brand of my brake pads will not fit properly. Like I said, the retainer clips are completely different and don't seem to snap into place like they should.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

I am not sure if there is a definitive answer. It could easily be poor design. You may want to go to the duralast site and verify you got the correct brake pads for your car.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Don't forget it might be as simple as the parts-counter guy gave you the wrong ones.