General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trouble Clearing SRS Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Default Trouble Clearing SRS Light

I just purchased a 2001 Accord EX and the SRS will not go off.
We have researched and so far we know the diagnostic code is 9-3 that points to a driver seat belt buckle issue.
We ordered a new driver seat belt buckle and have tried the clearing procedure to turn off the light but it will not clear and the code remains also.

When we try to clear the light, after we start the car the light should go out temporarily and that is not happening at all. It never goes out. We believe we are using the correct connector to clear the light - the one that is plugged into the dummy connector - and we have tried clearing many times but it will not clear.

Any ideas what else we can do? Our dealership wants over $100 just to diagnose the issue so we are trying to avoid their help.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Last edited by Superhawk; 09-06-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:08 AM

If you are using a two pin service connector and following the time sensitive reset procedure to the T then the light should reset and codes will clear. Assuming you replaced the seatbelt and seatbelt tensioner, be sure that the seatbelt connector is connected properly, otherwise the code will come back and the light will remain on. If the reset procedure is done properly and the new belt assembly is connected properly and the light remains on the might be an open in the wire the the seatbelt tensioner and there is always the chance that there is a problem with the SRS computer.

MES procedure. With ignition off disconnect the yellow SRS MES connector from the dummy port, connect a two pin service connector to the MES connector, turn ignition switch to on position, SRS light comes on for about six seconds and goes off. Within four seconds of the light going off remove the service connector. The SRS light comes back on. Within four seconds of the light coming back on reconnect the service connector. The light will go off again. Within four second of the light going off, remove the service connector. The SRS light should blink two times indicating the the memory erase procedure is complete.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Default Lifetime seatbelt warranty on 98-02 accords

Dont waste money purchasing parts. there is a simple DIY. FREE LIFETIME warranty for seatbelts for hondas sold in the UNITED states. You have a 9-3, pay the money, you will get it back!

I just came back checking my 2000 Honda accord SE code(9-4, i had long suspected it!) using the instructions specified here
I used a tie-wrap to short terminals 9 and 4 and follow the instructions. Wit this information, I will bravely go to the dealership to pay the diagnostic-fee and have it repaired. If you already know that the code is 9-3, you have nothing to fear(make sure that the code 9-3 is what repeats continuously ensuring that is the ONE AND ONLY code the SRS system has set. otherwise, the dealer may bull **** you

If you want to fix it yourself - go here, very helpful brain-dead simple procedure -