General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

turn key nothing happends after belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Default turn key nothing happends after belt replacement

hi guys, I have a 94 accord that i decided to change the cables and spark plugs, after that i decided to change the alternator belt but i think i put too much tension in it, maybe in both belts. So the car had a little problem starting, then i loosen up the belts and try it again same start problem it seem like the car was trying to start but it was hard and it did but i decided to loosen up the belts a bit more. After that the car won't do anything when I turn the key, all lights come up but nothing, could it be that the belt being to tight might mess with something like the alternator?? I did try starting the car a few times so maybe the starter gave up. the car is been running with no problem till now. Any help is appreciated , Thanks in advance.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Not sure about the '94s and if they had the spring tensioner. But I think that you may actually be looking at the wrong thing here. First off, if it was running until you changed the plugs and wires, check to be sure that the plugs are gapped correctly, that the plug wires are seated all the way onto the plugs and the distributor, and lastly, that the wires are hooked up from the correct distributor point to the correct plug. You may need a repair manual to check that. After you have done all of this, then check that the battery has the correct voltage. Since you tried to start it quite a bit, you may have now drained the battery.

If the plugs are not connected to the plug wires, it can run like crap, or not at all. That would be the first place that I would look.

Now back to the belt tensioner. I am not positive, but I believe that your car is or should be equipped with a spring loaded belt tensioner. This means that as long as the new belts are the same length as the old belts, the spring tensioner will automatically put the correct amount of tension on the belts.

Lastly, is your car a VTEC car? If so, you may have somehow messed up the cam position or such somehow. (I admit that I dont know much about the VTEC and even myself I wont touch the belts in my Honda. My GTO, game on, but the VTEC can be really finnicky). I hope that all of this helps.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:18 PM

No is not a vtec is 4 cylinders and i changed each one at time. I disconnected the battery for a while and give it a try and it almost turn on, at least it turn, so i checked the battery and i noticed that the positive was a lil loose so i try to fix it being that the cable is quite thick but i did my best and the car started with a lil effort. but then i turn it off and went back to the same, so maybe it needs a better fix or i need to charge the battery i check it and it has 12.5 so i don't really know where to go from here, maybe find a better battery terminal, but i didn't had that battery problem before and like i said it started before after messing with the BATT terminal but not anymore. Do you think i should give it a jump anyways??? I also checked the fuse panel in the engine an the are fine.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

When you turn the key to the on position, do all of the lights in the dash come on? Can you hear the fuel pump pressurize the fuel lines? If so, then the battery is connected properly and probably charged enough. I would then chack all of the plug wires. Also check to make sure that your connections are good from the solenoid to the distributor and then on to the plugs. It sounds like you are getting power, but that you are not getting spark. I would recheck the plugs, wires, distributor, and solenoid connections. make sure that they are all connected. That is what I would do.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:20 PM

Thank you very much Gray G i replace the starter motor and the problem is fix now.I appreciate your help thank you very much.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Osomex, glad you got it fixed. Now to clear up a couple other things, for the benefit of people who might find this thread later.

Originally Posted by Gray Goat
Now back to the belt tensioner. I am not positive, but I believe that your car is or should be equipped with a spring loaded belt tensioner. This means that as long as the new belts are the same length as the old belts, the spring tensioner will automatically put the correct amount of tension on the belts.

Lastly, is your car a VTEC car? If so, you may have somehow messed up the cam position or such somehow. (I admit that I dont know much about the VTEC and even myself I wont touch the belts in my Honda. My GTO, game on, but the VTEC can be really finnicky). I hope that all of this helps.
The 94 Accord doesn't have any spring-loaded belt tensioners. It's the classic method of move the PS pump or the alternator then re-tightening the mounting bolts. The spring-loaded tensioner started in 2003 for the 4-cyl, not sure what year for the V-6.

The VTEC system pretty much has nothing to do with the external drive belts, so you shouldn't have to worry about that for belt changing.