General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hard/no starting problem! PLEASE HELP!

Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
Default 94 Hard/no starting problem! PLEASE HELP!

Ok so i have been dealing with this issue for a while and I am ready to light this car on fire! So, is a 94 Accord 4 cylinder with 260K miles.

no engine light on.

The car has a hard starting problem that will happen anywhere from 10 min to the next day.. and it doesn't always happen. When i go to start the car it starts very rough (or not at all) and i will have to give it gas to clear it out. It smells like gas when this happens. When it clears out (after a few seconds) it runs perfect. And if i restart it right away it starts fine...

Now when it doesn't start.. i pull the plugs and see they are covered in gas. I clean them off with brake clean, re install them and it fires right up.

So i figured this is a fuel problem so here is that i replaced over the past year..

Fuel injectors
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel filter
Engine coolant temp sensor

So after i replaced the ECT sensor, it ran great for a week or so and then it slowly started to start hard again, until this past friday it didnt start at all!.
Today i pulled the plugs, that were soaking wet with fuel, clean them and tried to start it... well, it backfired super loud and still didnt start.. i pulled them again and again they were wet with fuel. This time i kept the key forward so it wouldnt prime the fuel pump, cleaned them and it started right up...

This is driving me crazy because it has stranded me before.. and more so because once it starts its runs great! and still gets great mileage..

can this be a spark issue? Not getting good spark which is causing the motor to not ignite the fuel and flood it???

Im at a loss.

Last edited by Sublime69; 01-31-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Plugs wet with fuel sounds like a spark problem to me.

When did you last change the spark plugs? Use the NGK plugs that are on the sticker under your hood.

When were the distributor cap and distributor rotor?

I would still check for codes just to be thorough. The common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to the instructions. If there is not engine code, the check engine light will stay on when the service connector is jumped.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Check for causes of flooding.

- Injectors leaking when they're not supposed to be firing.

- FPR leaking through it's ruptured diaphragm. Look for fuel in the FPR's vacuum hose.