General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Turn Signal Issue With A Twist

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Default Turn Signal Issue With A Twist

My car is a 2006 Accord EX V6 with just over 150,000 miles. The left hand side front and rear turn indicators didn't work but the hazard flashers did. I replaced the turn indicator relay (from Autozone) and the issue jumped to the right side. so now the left hand side turn indicators work and the right hand side front and rear turn indicators don't. Thinking that there could be the possibility of getting a faulty relay out of the box, I went to another Autozone and installed a second relay, nothing changed. Then I decided to replace the turn indicator switch (from Autozone) and it changed nothing. I then swapped turn indicator bulbs from left side to right side, nothing. I have searched the forums for wiring diagrams so I could at least trace where a potential issue might be lurking but to no avail. To me it seemed to be a straight up relay issue but I didn't get that lucky. Any pertinent ideas, insight, or diagrams are welcomed.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Does the indicator on the dash for the right/pass side come on or nothing at all on the dash or outside of the car?

Does everything work fine when the hazard switch is turned on.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Does the indicator on the dash for the right/pass side come on or nothing at all on the dash or outside of the car?

Does everything work fine when the hazard switch is turned on.
When the right/passenger side turn signal is initiated, no interior right/passenger turn indicator arrow, AND no exterior right/passenger flashing (front or rear).

When I push the hazard switch, ALL interior and exterior indicators flash properly.

HOWEVER, since initiating this thread, I was out troubleshooting this issue at night and noticed that when I turned on the headlights, the associated interior lights would illuminate as well (like normal). THEN I saw the light on the hazard button was NOT lit as it needed to be so I started repeatedly pushing the hazard switch and noticed that the light on the hazard button itself would illuminate intermittently. I would love to have some wiring diagrams to take this to the next level to see which circuits affect each other.
BTW, I had verified earlier that the hazard fuse is good.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:07 PM

Yep, I'm going to check that tonight. If someone had some wiring diagrams I would be eternally grateful!

Old 05-10-2016, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

For future reference, the turn signal and hazards use the same relay and same bulbs. You didn't need to replace the relay, because the hazard lights were working.

The next step to troubleshoot the problem is difficult because the MICU (multiplex control unit) controls the relay. Do you have a shop manual for your car?

Old 05-12-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
For future reference, the turn signal and hazards use the same relay and same bulbs. You didn't need to replace the relay, because the hazard lights were working.

The next step to troubleshoot the problem is difficult because the MICU (multiplex control unit) controls the relay. Do you have a shop manual for your car?
PAhonda, LOL, one of my biggest issues has been finding wiring diagrams so that I could properly troubleshoot the circuits. I finally found the full service manual and can now put together a technical picture of the situation. So yeah, if I would've had that manual earlier, I could've saved money and time.

I'm thinking an open or improper socket/terminal connection or faulty MICU. I didn't get a chance to check it out last night but hopefully will today.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:15 PM

You can check continuity at the steering column switch, but it does sound more like a multiplex control unit, BUT before doing anything else use good mechanical principles and ground a test light, and check all fuses first (don't use a visual inspection). If all are fine check continuity at the switch. If all check fine then suspect the multiplex unit. I apologize but I don't not have the Honda ETM's with me right now so that is all I have to offer. If you are planing on keeping the car you should get a Honda ETM for it...

Old 12-20-2020, 11:01 PM

Hello I can’t figure out how to start a tread on this website so I’m hoping someone here can give me some advise on a similar issue I’m having with my 2006 Honda Accord LX my left turn signal(front and back) only works when I turn on the hazard lights on but when when I signal left I get no lights on dash or front and rear lights.. so far I’ve changed the fuse box twice and also the switch. Maybe you guys can give some pointers on other things I can check to get the signal working again. Thank you

Old 12-21-2020, 07:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Do you have a buzz happening when turning on the signal. Is so check the relay. 38300-SDB-A03

Old 12-21-2020, 09:56 AM

No buzz that I can hear. Left side Only comes on when I activate my hazards switch. I’ve changed my relay twice so far. As well as the switch on the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Issue With A Twist