General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning Steering wheel hard at first when it's cold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Default Turning Steering wheel hard at first when it's cold?

Hi everyone! New to the forum. My 2004 Honda Accord is getting older and feel that I need to jump in this forum so that I can start becoming more knowledgeable to take care of my Accord as it ages.

Problem:
When it is cold during the winter, my 2004 Accord is hard to turn unless you let it warm up quite some time +10 minutes minimum. Then...no problems. I tend to not think that the steering fluid would get cold....? Sooo.... I'm at a loss.

Anyone else experience this or have an idea why that would happen?

Thanks for your insights!

Old 12-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A common problem on many Honda/Acura products is an air leak into system on suction hose inlet fitting to power steering pump (sub-ambient so air gets pulled in). There is usually groaning/whining sound from pump during this time.

As fluid warms oring eventually seals and air is circulated out to reservoir and symptoms disappear.

Fix is to replace oring on inlet fitting. Remove single bolt holding fitting and oring is underneath that fitting. Replace w/ OEM oring from Honda parts.

You can confirm by observing fluid in reservoir when cold. If foamy, then leaking air into system is confirmed.

good luck

Old 09-20-2017, 04:24 AM

hi Guyz happy to be here on this forum, my honda Torneo/accord has a hard steering wheel and it tends to steer on the right side unless you keep hold of the steering wheel tight will driving. please any advice. thanks.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
A common problem on many Honda/Acura products is an air leak into system on suction hose inlet fitting to power steering pump (sub-ambient so air gets pulled in). There is usually groaning/whining sound from pump during this time.

As fluid warms oring eventually seals and air is circulated out to reservoir and symptoms disappear.

Fix is to replace oring on inlet fitting. Remove single bolt holding fitting and oring is underneath that fitting. Replace w/ OEM oring from Honda parts.

You can confirm by observing fluid in reservoir when cold. If foamy, then leaking air into system is confirmed.

good luck
Do you have an oem part number for the o-ring or the line that’s typically associated with this issue? I’m pretty sure I’m dealing with this issue currently and according to the diagram I found, the only description that says suction on it is just a rubber tube from the PS pump to the reservoir with no actual fitting. Was it the fitting on the top of the pump itself?

Old 01-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

See attachment. I don't have info on part number. Suggest calling a Honda parts store.

good luck

Attached Files