General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under hood - What is this thing and its use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Under hood - What is this thing and its use?

Hey guys,

First let me say, I am not a genius when it comes to cars..but I try to figure things out. This one however, beats me. I have searched the internet, but if I don't even know what it is called or its use, how can I find out about it. All I can say is that this "thing" is right behind my passenger's head light.

Back story why this "thing" annoys me so much. My passenger low beam sometimes flicker. They could be working now, and when I turn the car off for a few hours and come back, that light won't work. I have to go under the hood and lift this "thing" up. Sometimes touch some wires connecting to the low beam and it would come back on.

Today I get in my car to leave work, and the passenger low beams won't come on. I touch the wires (don't really know where exactly I usually touch as m hands can barely get down there) and it came on. Drove for about 10 mins and it went off. Pulled over..tried touching the wires again but no luck. Got home..touched the wires again..still nothing.

For crying out loud, I just changed these bulbs (high and low beams) for both headlights less than 2 weeks now. I believe this "thing" is causing it. It's not stable either. I can lift it up (not too high) and push it back down. When I check under the car, this "thing" is freaking zip tied. It connects to nowhere

I contemplated opening this thread as this seems pretty lame but I am that desperate. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Under hood - What is this thing and its use?-img00072-20120307-2148-1.jpg   Under hood - What is this thing and its use?-img00074-20120307-2149-1.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

That is where air enters your engine.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you for the quick response.

Am I supposed to be able to move it up and down or is it supposed to be stable? Do you happen to know if it is supposed to be zip tied to the car (to prevent it from falling off?)

I understand it is where air enters the engine but what would happen if I remove it?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

It a battery vent tube, to provide fresh air to help disperse gas from the battery as most batteries (even sealed ones) vent gases.

The top part of the tube can be flipped and have some movement. It is not normally zip-tied to anything. The whole tube can be pulled up by hand to remove and just push back down into a hole in another air box to install.

Pull the tube out and check the headlight connection and wiring.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Much appreciated on that response redbull-1 for explaining that.

Unfortunately, when this car was on a lift, I saw that this vent tube is zip-tied to some part of the car. I knew this was odd but didn't know if there was a reason it was zip-tied. The individual I got this car from had an accident on the passenger side. So..anything is possible.

I will cut the zip-tie and and pull the tube out though. If anything..zip-tie it back when done lol. But big thanks for the explanation.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 PM

I'm sure there were clips holding the part on originally. The previous owner probably broke the clips taking the pipe out, so he zip tied it on rather than buy new clips.