General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneven brake pad contact

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Default Uneven brake pad contact

I am having a problem with my 2001 Accord EX Coupe (4cyl. A/T). I just replaced the rear brakes, and when I say replaced the brakes I mean pads, rotors, and calipers. The pads were lubricated on the edge and backs with a little of the included brake grease as well. The problem is that the passenger side rear, outside pad is not making full contact with the rotor. The pad is not contacting the bottom 1 inch (portion nearest the center of the hub) of the rotor. As I said, I've replaced eveything short of the wheel bearing assembly and that has about 30k on it. The parts are Honda so everything is of good quality and fits as it should. The mounting points were all cleaned up and the bolts are tight. I am at a loss to what should be done. I know some people have said that Accords have had some rear brake problems, but I can't figure this one out.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Search 3kf8C4Qxu-A on YouTube. It is an ericthecarguy video on replacing rear brakes on an accord. He was an Acura tech, so he knows the proper way to install the brakes on an Accord.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 AM

As far as the installation of the brakes I've followed all the procedures (I have the shop manual "Factory Honda" for my car) and I can't see any reason for the pads not to press evenly across the rotor. Also some of the other people that have had brake pad problems have traced it back to the caliper pins getting stuck, but since I replaced the caliper too that doesn't figure into this problem.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Pad has small nibs that must be aligned w/ the + drive slots on the caliper pad. If you misalign, the pad will be cocked and wear to one end.

You did not install correctly Guess how I know about this problem.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 11-09-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:31 PM

Well, that is one thing that I thought of too. I guess I'm going to have to take it apart again. But when I put the new caliper on I made sure that the little nib on the pad went into the center of the piston, but maybe it's not quite aligned right. I'll check it out and reply back with what I find out.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:40 PM

I took the caliper off this weekend, using the caliper tool (the little cube) and turned the piston to help line up the grooves in it with the nub on the back of the pad a little better. So far it seems to be making better contact, but I have to say that what I've learned and heard from others about the rear brakes on accords of this generation and newer definitely shows a flaw in Honda's thinking. It would be greatly appreciated to have a two piston caliper and maybe a vented disc like the front brakes especially since the EBD system puts a bias towards the rear brakes. Thanks for the help HAF members.