General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unknown part in oil pan. Please help identify...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Unknown part in oil pan. Please help identify...

Hi all,

My '01 Accord 2.3l started leaking some oil near the area where the oil pan meets the oil pump. I thought that maybe it was the oil pan gasket that was leaking so I decided to replace the gasket. Upon removing the oil pan, I found the following part inside the pan. Yes, it was inside the pan submersed in oil. Can someone help identify what the heck this part is?

I reinstalled the oil pan with a new gasket but I don't think this resolved the leaking. I think that perhaps the oil pump or some component in or around this area is leaking. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anthony

Attached Thumbnails Unknown part in oil pan. Please help identify...-img_0856%5B1%5D.jpg   Unknown part in oil pan. Please help identify...-img_0857%5B1%5D.jpg   Unknown part in oil pan. Please help identify...-img_0858%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

I'll go out on a limb. Is it metal, is is magnatic?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi,

No, it's not magnetic. It is metal though. When looking at it from the side view, it looks like 2 different types of metals sandwiched together.

Thanks,

Anthony

Old 06-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

I'll defer to the experts but it is almost sounding and looking like a thrust washer....suppose to be on the crankshaft, not in the pan. It keeps the crank from sliding.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I think you're right. I just looked up the part in the Honda parts catalogue. It's identical to what I found.

Don't these usually fit on top of the crank though? How the heck does it end up in the oil pan? The part drawing shows two of them. I only found one in the pan. Should I drive the vehicle to the nearest shop?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Top, I'd call it the side. Keeps crank from "walking". As far as how it came out??? Low oil can cause bearings to wear. The "other" may still be in place, for now.
Unless you are willing to replace yourself, then I would recomend a shop. If you are going to do the work yourself you'll need to get advise from the manuals and the experts. I would not be any help, never been that far into the bottom end of a Honda...an old V8 chevy and I'm in.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it sure is the crank thrust washer ( 1 of 2 ).if it came off there might be some issues in that engine,
,,,worn parts on the lower end
and poorman212 was right ,it keeps the crank for sliding side to side ,,you might want to have a shop chk to what extent the damage is in that engine ,,and you cannot just slide it back in till you find out why it came out
i am surprised that you did not mention that you hear some noise from lower end , the crank is sliding back and forth ,,

Last edited by deserthonda; 06-27-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:01 PM

depending on how long that thing has been in your pan, I would just tear that motor down and put it back together... if your crank is walking back and forth you are tearing all of the main bearings up quick

Old 06-27-2010, 02:16 PM

There is also the small chance both thrust bearings are in place. Stranger things have happened.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for all of the replies. I think the crank is 'walking' because each time I depress the clutch (car is a manual 5 spd), the rpms drop. When I let it go, the rpms pot back up to normal. I'm guessing that by pressing the clutch pedal, there is additional pressure placed on the crank...

The weird thing about this issue is that the car still runs great. Doesn't make any odd noises or anything.

Does anyone have any idea of what would cause an issue like this to occur? How/why would a part like this simply fall out into the oil pan of all places?

So what's entailed in tearing apart the motor and putting this part back in? Does the motor have to come out completely? I don't think I could tackle this one myself. Any suggestions on where to take it for service? Honda dealer? Any idea on what the cost would be for such a repair?

Thanks,

Anthony

Quick Reply: Unknown part in oil pan. Please help identify...