General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unknown plug disconnected???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Default Unknown plug disconnected???

Hi.

I just bought an 2000 Accord - 1850cc.
I just started to look for the OBD connector, but instead found this plug, (see attachment), disconnected, just under the glove box, above the passengers feet.

Does anyone know what this plug is for?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Unknown plug disconnected???-image0093.jpg  

Last edited by Stew Pot; 03-30-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It appears to fit the "holder" immediately above the plug.

good luck

Old 03-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

OP - based on you having the 1.8L you do not have a US model.

There are not a lot of members here from outside the US.

I am not sure how different your wiring is vs ours.

Now I will say that I believe your ODB II connector is located behind your ashtray.

If everything is working correctly on your car then I would not connect it, just my opinion.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:01 AM

It appears to fit the "holder" immediately above the plug. good luck

If everything is working correctly on your car then I would not connect it, just my opinion.

Hi.

I did see the mating socket, I was just afraid to plug it in, in case someone had removed it for a good reason.

Didn't want to rock the boat.

I've ordered the Haynes manual, so once it arrives I should be able to figure out what it's for.

The car is hesitating between 1000 and 2000 rpm during acceleration.

It idles fine.

It doesn't hesitate when cold, so I want to first check the coolant temerature sensor before starting into the EGR passage clearout.

I've searched high and low for the OBD socket and can't find it. Some other forum threads suggests some don't have the normal OBD socket.

(There is no MIL lamp on anyway. I was just curious to see if there is any data logged in the OBD freeze frame).

Hopefully the manual will shed some light on it, but I imagine it will be specific to the usa models.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I wouldn't plug it in unless the holder doesn't have any wires leading to it or something is not working correctly on the car. IE, it's nothing but a holder. There are some like this to protect diagnostic plugs. I haven't seen one w/ that many wires, but may be there.

good luck

Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I wouldn't plug it in unless the holder doesn't have any wires leading to it or something is not working correctly on the car. IE, it's nothing but a holder. There are some like this to protect diagnostic plugs. I haven't seen one w/ that many wires, but may be there.

good luck
oops.

Sorry, I've been a plonker.

Just had a closer look and now realise the holder is just a holder.

I thought it had wires coming from it but I was wrong.

Maybe this is the diagnostic socket then?

Hopefully the manual has some more info.

Thanks

Old 04-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Default Problem solved

Turns out the 5 pin plug is the OBD connector.

I suspected the EGR valve was dodgey, and true enough once I got the relevant code reader and connected it, the EGR voltage was 0v during a test drive. (No engine management light was illuminated on the dash by the way and no fault codes were present - strange).

I took the code reader out through the window to the engine bay and wiggled the connector. Ahhhhh, I got a voltage.

Wiggled it again - no voltage, and so on.

Once I had wiggled it in such a way as to maintain a constant good connection, I took it for a drive with the live data showing.

The car has driven fine since. (Before it was hesitating during acceleration). It has continually shown a voltage trace consistent with my test drive.

For example when OFCO is active, the EGR voltage trace flatlines as would be expected.

Then when I apply the gas again, the EGR voltage becomes active again.

I need a closer inspection of the plug and loom to ensure a more long term solution.

I never could have found that fault without the code reader.