General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsticking front brake calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Unsticking front brake calipers?

Hey guys, me again! My car is a 92 Honda Accord EX. I have traced my problem with my car pulling to one side while driving to sticking brake calipers on the front. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck "unsticking" a sticky brake caliper, or if that is a waste of time and I should just stop being so cheap and shell out the money for new calipers? Does working the caliper pistons in and out sometimes work? I know in the "old" days they used to sell rebuild kits for caliper pistons. I don't know if I want to go that route anyway as the calipers are probibly not that expensive. I would just like to try and free up the calipers first before I have to go thru all the bother of replacing them and bleeding the lines. Thanks for any help. I did search the General Tech. forum first and I couldn't really find anything about unsticking a stuck caliper. Just alot about diagnosing the problem. Thanks again and you guys have been awsome!! Lots of smart guys hangin out in here!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

It may be the caliper slide pins. Sometimes removing them, cleaning, and then re-lubing will do the trick or get new slide pins.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I agree w/ Redbull, particularly if the dust boot on your caliper is intact. Sticking caliper pins are easy to spot. You won't be able to pull the caliper pin in/out by hand. It should move easily w/ intact boot.

Just yesterday I replaced rotor on my son's 97 Acura TL which was damaged by frozen caliper pin apparenlty causing the pad to be asymmtrically loaded.

good luck

Old 05-18-2011, 01:41 PM

totally agree. just remove the slide pins. may be a bit tough but once you get them out i would wire wheel the pins. and if you have access to a bead blaster i would you that on the calipers. then just use some sil-glide on the pins and it should be good to go.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

New caliper pin boots are available from Autozone or other auto parts stores, and of course Honda. They are a litte tricky to install as it was not obvious which end fits into caliper body and which end attaches to pin. After trying both combinations, the large end goes in the caliper and slightly smaller end over the pin.

good luck