General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

upgrade to indash gps disk changer

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 AM
sodbuster
Unregistered
Default upgrade to indash gps disk changer

I have a 2003 Accord with a 6 disk changer indash. What is needed to convert to a gps system besides the unit itself? Any new wiring or antennas etc.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Default RE: upgrade to indash gps disk changer

well you cant turn the stock system into gps nav, unless your talking about getting a stand alone gps system like a garmin. If you want an indash system you need a receiver with a screen. and the bezel so it fits into the stock posistion. but i highly, HIGHLY recomend getting someone to custom your stock display to fit the reciever because the aftermarket bezel is a total POS. I have it and am very unhappy with it, the ***** for the fan speed is constantly falling off and it just looks cheap. also the controls arent as smooth operation wise as the stock ones.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

factory? expensive...do a search...one of the members has a pet project involving that.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:37 PM

It is I who is taking on the non-navi to navi swap. Before you go any further, you must be committed to spend at least $1200 to complete the project. If you want a list of the thing required to do the OEM navi swap go to my website (listed in my signature tagline).

Also note - if you don't have dual climate control, I can't help you. You need to have it before you can even consider taking on this project. Anyway, I'm nearly finished the project now. I'm down to the wiring harness, which won't require any cutting... at least none that I know of yet. If I haven't scared you off, then I hope my DIY will be of some great help to you once I have completed the install myself.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:55 AM
johnnyboy31989
Unregistered

i am trying to do the same exact thing u di. I have the regualr non navi 04 Honda ACC head unit and am trying to switch to the Honda Stock Navi that comes with certain model Accords i guess.. I was just wondering to change all that is it simply taking apart the center dash peice and just plugging the wire harness from the old head unit into the New Navi head unit. Or is there alot of new wiring and other stuff i have to do to complete this project.. Let me know any help is appreciated

Old 12-25-2007, 11:11 PM

My short answer to your question is that this is a complicated process. I've been actively working on this project for about 3 months now. You need a custom wire harness. So far, I don't know anyone who has published who makes them or where you can get them. I will be posting this information on my website in the new year sometime as I've gone to the ends of the earth to locate the manufacturers and part numbers of these seemingly unobtainable pieces of molded plastic.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 AM

Oh... and did I forget you NEED the upper vent panel w/ subdisplay?

I've actually tried to install the upper vent panel w/ subdisplay without the navi and it doesn't fit - you can bet that the same goes for anyone hoping to throw their new navi into the dash without replacing the vent panel as well.

btw - I have some connectors now!!! W00t!!
More should arrive just after the new year...
My wire harness should be ready soon!