General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

upper control arm bushing

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Default upper control arm bushing

I got a question! I've heard that many old cars have bad bushings, but I would like to know how this affect the car's performance. Willing it cause the control arm to fall apart??? What is that thing anyways? Please shed some light for me on this...

Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Default RE: upper control arm bushing

pictures

[IMG]local://upfiles/7059/1E1F96244F954AD3893D1B6BF39957EB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7059/6FA0E3B24BBE488989819D4D4B668EB6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-17-2007, 10:51 AM

~_~ pictures

[IMG]local://upfiles/7059/7BE44F1A369043C581AF3073E8366553.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7059/5668372C86234EDCB9D7039F1D319E00.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

That's the upper ball joint. Have to replace the entire upper control arm because the balljoint isn't available by itself.

You CAN buy a new rubber boot, but if it's been torn like that for awhile, the joint has probably been damaged by dirt.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If it ain't loose don't change it. The control arms are quite expensive. You may be able to do it on your own. It may require taking the strut out of the car, but I have done them on an integra and they were easy, but expensive ($360 for both sides parts only). Dealer wanted that much per side to do it. Pickle fork, socket wrench and a breaker bar are needed. I did both sides on the integra in 3 hrs with a Chilton/Haynes manual. You can check and see if it is loose by lifting up the wheel in the air and pushing on the wheel on the top and then on the bottom of the tirewhile looking at the upper ball joint. If the joint moves, replace it, ifit moves and you don't replaceit, itwill tear your tires to shreds (figuratively speaking).

Old 05-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

that looks like a torn upper ball joint dust boot ,,If the ball joint is not loose ( worn ) just replace the dust boot i have done a bunch of them ,, remove the 2 10mm bolts for the cover, remove the cotter pin, remove the 17 mm castle nut, separate the ball joing from the upper control arm, replace the dust boots,, get them at the dealer but when you ask for them DO NOT ask for upper ball joint boots not available ask for outer tie rod end boots same size ( been there done that ) cost is about 5-6 dollars each .. make sure not to damage the metal holding rind that holds the boot in place you got to reuse it ,,,,
spary the boot with wd-40, this will make the ring slip in a bit easier

Old 05-18-2007, 03:17 PM

Thank you for all of your input. I am thankful to see enthusiasts and experts like you all, to help me out on problems like these. I am just a typical poor student who is struggling to maintain his car; your help is very much needed and appreciated~!

Jimblake, deserthonda, and stir_fry_boy: do you think if it is easier if I just change the balljoint instead of taking it apart? I asked because i saw this on ebay but do not know if it will work. Another reason why I am skeptical about this joint is because numerous mechanics have told me that I can not justbuy the ball joint.
site: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93...spagenameZWDVW

Old 05-18-2007, 05:41 PM

You must separate the upper ball joint from the steering knuckleregardless of whatyou decide to do, so in that senseyou must"take it apart". But the balljoint - a "ball and socket" joint -itself is never taken apart for any reason.Over time, when the ballinevitably becomestoo loose inside its socket,the ball joint(or most timestheentire arm)is replaced.

As you have been told, if the joint is still within specified tightness, just replace the broken rubberboot that bothprotects the joint from the weather,and holds in some grease against the joint.

This is a relatively simple job, but you must not damage the ball joint when you separate it from the knuckle. If you damage the joint while removing it from the knuckle,you'll certainly be replacing either the entire arm or atleastthe ball joint. In this case, a frustrated, impatientDIY'r might end upspending more moneythan simplypaying someone to replace the boot.

If you determine up front that the joint is bad, rather than attempt to replace the old ball joint inthe old arm,buy eithernew Honda, or newaftermarket arms with integral ball joints:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACCOR...18006945QQrdZ1
As you can see, the new aftermarket arms are not much more money than the aftermarketball joints alone. You'll get new, tightbushings in the new arms, as well.

After separating the old ball joint from the steering knuckle, replacing the upper arm is pretty easy and, aside from thetorque specs, self explanatory, but make sure you verify right and left before installing the new arms.If you get them mixed up, you'll notice some very strange handling as you drive the cardown the road!

Thereare some tips about installing the armsin the following thread:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_29224/tm.htm