General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil canning noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Default Oil canning noise

My '91 LX 5 spd (178,500 ms)is making a strange noise in the front end under medium to heavy acceleration or deceleration. I can duplicate it almost every time, and it makes a noise like an old oiling can - something between a "Klick" and a "Klunk." It is as if something is shifting, causingone singlenoise if I accelerate or decelerate. Iam reasonably competentmechanically, and have checked and ok'd the following in front suspension:

Upper/Lower ball joints (all tight, look recently replaced, I checked with a prybar)
Upper control arms/bushings (snug)
Lower control arms/bushings (snug)
Strut rod bushings/ rod bolts to LCA's (all tight)
Subframe bolts (snugged slightly, but they were tight anyway)
Steering rack and tie rod ends (no play at all)
Rear motor mount (I was convinced this was it, and pulled a perfectly good mount out! Doh!)
Front motor mount (fine - no appreciable engine rock when letting clutch out w/ brakes on...why didn't I do that testbefore removing the rear mount?!)

I was concerned about a ball joint coming apart, but that just doesn't seem to be the case. It only makes the noise once every accel from a stop/ decelto a stop. There is no pull, no shimmy, no other abnormal symptom. ItSOUNDS as if it is between the engine and firewall, but it's hard to say. I wondered if there are any problems with floorpans/firewalls cracking or flexing.This car seems to have been well cared for and driven gently.Also, we have no rust issue here, so the undercarriage is in beautiful shape.
No noise over speedbumps, but I have heard it whenturning anddriving over the crown betweenmy country lane and driveway.

This is my first Accord - any suggestions or common issues I'm overlooking?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Oil canning noise

have you checked the radius rod bolts for tightness and or the radius rod bushings ??
the rods go from the lower control arm into the frt beam, i have seen a frew of those be lose and cause the same issue you are having

Old 05-18-2007, 08:30 AM

Yep - I checked those, and found no problems. It's really got me stumped. I hate not knowing what it is!

Old 05-18-2007, 06:27 PM

this may sound strange but make sure that your airbox is tight, if it's loose then when the engine rocks a slight amount it will "bounce" that thing around.... or a loose radiator.... that would be my next guess....