General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie here needs help with Belt noise and oil consumption

Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Default Newbie here needs help with Belt noise and oil consumption

Hey guys, first time posting here

I have a 2003 EX I4 making some weird noises from the engine, I thought it was the timing belt, but found out this car uses a timing chain. It seems to be the belt that connects the alternator to the rest of the car (I'm a total car newb, this is my first car, I've only had it 6 months and I'm 18)

I just recently replaced the antifreeze with some Prestone crap, thinking the manual was telling me to go out and buy genuine Honda antifreeze, only to find out that it's because generic crap like prestone causes corrosion. So looks like I'll keep it in there a few weeks until I get some cash. Next time I'll rtfm and listen to it.

The car came with 56k, I put about 15k on it in 6 months, so it's got a little over 80k on it now. I've made a video with some audio at the end (audio only at the end, my phone gets much better audio quality when the recorder is being used, while the cam is used it sucks) that explains the sound I'm hearing. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc_FiWIkMl4

This sound's been going on for a little while, probably like 5k or more miles. The engine was always loud since I got the car, but it seems that it just has been getting louder since this started popping up.

It's also in desperate need of oil, I bought some more 5w-20 Castrol Syntec, I put some in 10,000 miles ago, and according to the manual, it should last about that long. Well, I check my dipstick (I know I should've checked periodically, really dumb of me not to) and the car has NO OIL! Barely anything in there! I poured the remaining oil in the 5 quart container from the first oil change (with synthetic. I originally got the car and they put some crap oil that I kept in there for 6,000 miles) I changed my oil filter last oil change as well, so I'm not sure if this car is now getting that common "oil eating" problem. I was about to put the new oil in until i found out about this problem, I want to fix it before it goes back on the road.
(lost my license for 30 days Damn speeding tickets... Needless to say those tickets worked, I stopped speeding completely)

So, should I just put the new oil in and change it more frequently, or try to diagnose the problems to ensure nothing else happens.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:18 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the HAF..questions will be answered soon..

Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Is the noise coming from the PS pump or the alternator? I took a snapshot of your video. I circled the PS pump. Ignore the arrow, because I thought that this noise just showed up after you changed the coolant.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie here needs help with Belt noise and oil consumption-video.jpg  
Old 11-09-2010, 09:59 AM

Oh, it's definitely coming from that pump you circled, but it seems like it's the belt it's attached to that is making the noise... I the thought it was the alternator because of this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=ynph4KDSzQE

So what does this pump do, and is it expensive?

Old 11-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Get some belt dressing & spray it on the belt. If that makes it quiet, then it's belt-noise, not really a bad power-steering pump.

IF that's the case, the belt dressing is only temporary. Get a new belt. They get hard & slippery with heat & age.

About the oil change interval... Just in case it's related to timing-chain noise, you should probably change oil more often than 10k miles for awhile. When you drain it, stick a coathanger in the drain plug & root around in the oil pan - looking for chunks of sludge. Hope you don't find any...

Last edited by JimBlake; 11-09-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:38 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to try the belt dressing and I'll look for sludge too. Where can I get this belt dressing, and how often should I change the oil?

I'll get to working on it once I'm out of work, I'll update in a few hours

Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Any autoparts store will sell belt dressing. It is a smaller aerosol can.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Even spraying water from a windex bottle onto the belt should probably change the sound - IF it's caused by the belt.
OTOH, I listened to the sound on YouTube and to me it doesn't sound like the belt. Still worthwhile to rule it out.

*IF* you find crud in the oilpan, I'd probably change oil every 3k with less expensive oil, for maybe 3 times, just to rinse out the crud. Then go back to synthetic & maybe change every 7k or 8k? If the sludge is from previous owners, maybe you can go back to 10k after it's clean.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Default so far...

Ok, so I went to a Honda dealer and got some Honda brand antifreeze. Unfortunately I was not drivin my car (can't drive for another... oh, 25 days!), so I just left with the antifreeze. I also bought some of that belt dressing, and it didn't do much for me. I'm currently uploading another video of what I did so far. If just want to skip to the part where I apply the Belt Dressing, skip to around 5-6 minutes into the video. It'll be up in 10-20 minutes! (converting now, uploading in a bit)

Also, I didn't yet have time to check the oil pan for crud yet, and I haven't put in new oil yet, because right when I finished with the antifreeze, my dad had to use the car. (rare, but happens now and then, especially since I can't drive anything for now)

Oh and another quick question (it's also in the video): What do I use to lubricate the door hinges so that they don't make as much noise? Would WD-40 be ok? I show it in the video, and once it's uploaded, I'll tell you exactly what time it's shown.

So while this is converting, I'm going to try to check for the oil sludge with a hanger, and if I find anything I'll report here, most likely with another video.

Last edited by Samzebian; 11-09-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

My bad. What year models had the TSB about the PS Pump o-ring.....yes I should search before just throwing that out.

For hinges, I like the white lithium grease (lith-ease is one brand)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie here needs help with Belt noise and oil consumption