General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie here needs help with Belt noise and oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Could be? I thought I saw it on this site just a few weeks ago, I do get confused as I'm on that one as well. One of our UK friends had it or found it, I think they had a foaming issue as well. Just wanted to give you something to think about before buying a new/reman pump....I bet the o-ring cost a whole lot less.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=PAhonda;221330]I think that one test you should do is to remove the belt and start the car. See if the noise goes away.

I glossed over the oil loss problem when I read your first post. Keep a very close eye on your oil level. Kris_loehr had an 03 that consumed all of his oil and caused an engine failure. He replaced with an 05 engine. You may want to send kris_loehr a PM.

Here is a thread where he mentions the oil loss on his 03
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=30139

I'll definitely be checking it periodically...

my dad had a lawnmower that got fixed, but the guy forgot to put oil back in...
engine block = cracked in half! I don't want my car to end up in the same way!

thanks for the link I'll ask him about it (it asks me to log in, but it redirects back to the login page. do I need to be a mod to use that link?)

Last edited by PAhonda; 11-12-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Could be? I thought I saw it on this site just a few weeks ago, I do get confused as I'm on that one as well. One of our UK friends had it or found it, I think they had a foaming issue as well. Just wanted to give you something to think about before buying a new/reman pump....I bet the o-ring cost a whole lot less.
yea I still can't drive for 23 days so nothing will get replaced anytime soon anyways. No need if the car's not being used. Fortunate for me because normally I would have just ordered something by now

Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry about that. Copied the wrong link. This is the correct one.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=30139

Old 11-14-2010, 10:53 PM

I just went on a trip that was 264 miles in total. My friend drove there and back, and when he stopped for a break, I told him to pop the hood. The car started to smell a bit like antifreeze when I had my windows open. I guess some of it leaked out when I put the old prestone in. Anyways, I went to check my oil, and it was still good. The only problem was that I saw the lower-left corner of my engine block looked brown and burnt a little bit. I don't think it was there before, but my friends who were on the trip said it looked like it had been there for years (by the look of the brown stain/burn, not because they remembered it or anything)

I'll post pics up tomorrow, my friend is borrowing the car for the night.

I'm hoping this isn't related to oil consumption...

BTW the belt sound issue seems to have died down. I turned on my engine the other day, and I felt like it sounded quieter. I popped the hood and to my disbelief, the sound seemed to die down quite a bit. New oil could've helped? I think it was the belt dressing I sprayed into the PS pump's rotating thing (idk what it's called), maybe it was just dry and needed some lubrication. who knows but it seemed to solve the problem!

Old 11-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Took some pics:

farm2.static.flickr.com/1437/5182744966_73bb790434_z.jpg

farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5182740718_3fe3d7884d_z.jpg

farm2.static.flickr.com/1381/5182150003_dc1ed51169_z.jpg

http:\\farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/...ef685b5b_z.jpg

also, I think my oil consumption was normal because I've driven about 900 miles so far and my dipstick is still showing full. Maybe the extra quart or two missing from draining my old 10k oil got all burned up? Idk if is even possible... I'll keep an eye on it

Also my engine still smells like antifreeze... I guess I better wipe it down with a damp cloth

Last edited by Samzebian; 11-16-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely keep an eye on the oil level. When the engine is cold, check that you are not leaking coolant by inspecting the level in the radiator and the overflow tank.

The power steering pump has a sealed bearing that should not need lubrication. The bearing could be bad on the PS pump, the tensioner pulley, or the belt.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Definitely keep an eye on the oil level. When the engine is cold, check that you are not leaking coolant by inspecting the level in the radiator and the overflow tank.

The power steering pump has a sealed bearing that should not need lubrication. The bearing could be bad on the PS pump, the tensioner pulley, or the belt.
Ok, I'll check my oil every 200 miles or so. I think that should be good enough (that's about every 2-3 days on average for me lol)

I see that coolant is still on my engine from when I first put it in, (splashed a little bit) I just haven't had any time to clean it.

Maybe tomorrow, I need to wax my car too to protect the paint for winter. (BTW I got tutrle wax, is that any good if you just want to keep your paint protected from salt on the roads? I don't need that super-clean shine all the time, just keep the paint safe)

How do I check the antifreeze from my radiator? I know how to check the overflow tank, and how to drain/refill the radiator, but thats about it.

I have a feeling the bearing was making the sound, idk if the spray got into it and somehow (most likely temporarily) alleviated the strange noises...

BTW any ideas on the burn marks on my engine? I don't think they were there before....

I've highlighted the areas with the burns:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4107/...3dfe3b0358.jpg

And I just realized these burns appear in this pic, taken a week after getting the car... So I'm assuming they are not related to the oil issue. I guess I never noticed it before, or it's getting darker/worse.

Here's the old pic from 6 months ago showing the same burns:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/...0bfbd6846c.jpg

Old 12-15-2010, 12:48 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread, BUT update:

I think I figured out my oil "consumption" issue..
I hadn't ever changed the washer out on my oilpan, so yesterday I drained the oil out, put the new washer I got from the dealer (bought 10 for the future oil changes, lol $5 on washers)

So far so good, no oil leaks/changes occuring. I'm about to change the A/t fluid, bought some from the dealer too, anybody know where the drain plug is located? couldn't find it last night...

I also got the chance to fully clean/detail and wax the car, so clean right now.

Only thing in that pic that I have already done in the "not finished" section is the oil nut.

I have a cracked rim which needs replacement (and totally sucks)

Anybody have any ideas on the burn or rust marks on my engine (post above)

Old 12-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Have you figured out the noise yet? It looks like the PS fluid is getting hot, because the metal hose and the valve cover are getting way too warm.

This could be from a bad PS pump.

Quick Reply: Newbie here needs help with Belt noise and oil consumption