General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie here needs help with Belt noise and oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:44 PM

Ok, I just got the damn bolt for the oil off, so it's draining right now. I'm about to put the coat hanger in to check for sludge. Anyways, the youtube vid is up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmZCnSjM9fw

Old 11-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

One thing I noticed from the video is that you sprayed the dressing on the wrong side of the belt. You should spray it on the side that touches the pulley.

On the same note, you want to inspect the side of the belt that you did not spray.

You can spray that dressing when the engine is running. Just do it when the engine is cold, so the aerosol will not catch on fire.

You can try spraying it near the bolt of the PS pump pulley to see if that quiets down. Also on the tension pulley directly below it. The tension pulley will be the only pulley that touches the side of the belt that you originally sprayed.

Look to see if you see any of the pulleys wobbling when the car is running.

You can use a length of old garden hose to use a mechanics stethoscope. Just be careful that you don't get it caught in the moving belts.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:00 PM

I tried spraying on both sides, I think I might have cut it from the video tho. Or maybe it was when I put it on the second time...

I tried spraying the bolt, I think the sound is actually coming from the rotating part of the power steering pump, maybe it's a bad bearing? It doesn't seem like a belt issue if the spray didn't help at all.

The pulleys don't seem to be wobbling or shaking at all.

I'll definitely try the mechanic's stethoscope sometime tomorrow.

Originally Posted by PAhonda
One thing I noticed from the video is that you sprayed the dressing on the wrong side of the belt. You should spray it on the side that touches the pulley.

On the same note, you want to inspect the side of the belt that you did not spray.

You can spray that dressing when the engine is running. Just do it when the engine is cold, so the aerosol will not catch on fire.

You can try spraying it near the bolt of the PS pump pulley to see if that quiets down. Also on the tension pulley directly below it. The tension pulley will be the only pulley that touches the side of the belt that you originally sprayed.

Look to see if you see any of the pulleys wobbling when the car is running.

You can use a length of old garden hose to use a mechanics stethoscope. Just be careful that you don't get it caught in the moving belts.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Get some belt dressing & spray it on the belt. If that makes it quiet, then it's belt-noise, not really a bad power-steering pump.

IF that's the case, the belt dressing is only temporary. Get a new belt. They get hard & slippery with heat & age.

About the oil change interval... Just in case it's related to timing-chain noise, you should probably change oil more often than 10k miles for awhile. When you drain it, stick a coathanger in the drain plug & root around in the oil pan - looking for chunks of sludge. Hope you don't find any...
I tried the trick with the coathanger, no chunks of sludge, whew! at least I don't have to deal with that. When i dumped the old oil back into the Castrol syntec container, it was probably a quart or 2 less than it was last time, which doesn't seem bad at all for 10,000 miles. I'm guessing the dipstick was just being inaccurate.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:03 PM

Oh and I'm making a 3rd video, already recorded it, gotta edit + upload.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 AM

wow my comp literally just finished converting the video so I can edit... looks like it's going up tomorrow

It's up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7UYyXf5g8
(skip to 6:54 to see the belt noise problem again)
(skip to 2:50 to see the lack of engine sludge on the hanger)

Last edited by Samzebian; 11-10-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:27 PM

I've still got like an hour to see my mechanic, they close at 5. I just don't want to pay a diagnosis fee or any crap like that...

Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Can't get the exact info on this TSB, there is one for a PS issue where it whines or something while cold,,,,has something, I think, with replacing an o-ring on the pressure side of the pump.....if someone else can please search

Old 11-11-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Can't get the exact info on this TSB, there is one for a PS issue where it whines or something while cold,,,,has something, I think, with replacing an o-ring on the pressure side of the pump.....if someone else can please search
could this be it?

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2144369

Old 11-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

I think that one test you should do is to remove the belt and start the car. See if the noise goes away.

I glossed over the oil loss problem when I read your first post. Keep a very close eye on your oil level. Kris_loehr had an 03 that consumed all of his oil and caused an engine failure. He replaced with an 05 engine. You may want to send kris_loehr a PM.

Here is a thread where he mentions the oil loss on his 03
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=30139

Last edited by PAhonda; 11-12-2010 at 01:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Newbie here needs help with Belt noise and oil consumption