General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Use Honda ATF after used other brands

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Not much of an auto-trans guru, but I think Dexron-xxx is purposely backwards compatible.

But I don't know if the same thing is true for Honda ATF being an improved Dex-II or whether Honda changed their transmissions at the same time they started selling "their" ATF.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Not much of an auto-trans guru, but I think Dexron-xxx is purposely backwards compatible.

But I don't know if the same thing is true for Honda ATF being an improved Dex-II or whether Honda changed their transmissions at the same time they started selling "their" ATF.
Yes, Dexron's made that way. That's why you can still buy Mercon for older Fords and some Chryslers, as those transmissions require something other than Dexron.
As for whether Honda DW-1 is similar enough to be used in place of Dexron in a Honda, I don't know enough about it. I think Honda required the use of DW-1 back in 94 or 95 in all of their transmissions.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Yes, Dexron's made that way. That's why you can still buy Mercon for older Fords and some Chryslers, as those transmissions require something other than Dexron.
As for whether Honda DW-1 is similar enough to be used in place of Dexron in a Honda, I don't know enough about it. I think Honda required the use of DW-1 back in 94 or 95 in all of their transmissions.
I don't believe DW-1 existed back in 1994 or 1995. Something in the back of my mind says DW-1 wasn't released to the market until 2010 or so.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
I don't believe DW-1 existed back in 1994 or 1995. Something in the back of my mind says DW-1 wasn't released to the market until 2010 or so.
How about it's predecessor? My 2000 Accord owners manual just says use Honda Premium ATF in it. Or Dexron III in an emergency, followed up with a 3 drain and fill treatment once you get to a Honda dealer.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

How about it's predecessor? My 2000 Accord owners manual just says use Honda Premium ATF in it. Or Dexron III in an emergency, followed up with a 3 drain and fill treatment once you get to a Honda dealer.
Interesting, the Owner's Manual from my 2001 Accord says:
If the level is below the lower mark, add fluid into the tube to bring it to the upper mark. Always use Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid). If it is not available, you may use a DEXRONŽ III automatic transmission fluid as a temporary replacement. However, continued use can affect shift quality. Have the transmission drained and refilled with Honda ATF-Z1 as soon as it is convenient.

To thoroughly flush the transmission, the technician should drain and refill it with Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid), then drive the vehicle a short distance. Do this three times. Then drain and refill the transmission a final time.

Regardless of whether we're talking about Honda Premium ATF or Honda ATF-Z1, the result is the same, Dexron III = bad, however Honda DW-1 (nee. ATF-Z1) = good.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Interesting, the Owner's Manual from my 2001 Accord says:
If the level is below the lower mark, add fluid into the tube to bring it to the upper mark. Always use Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid). If it is not available, you may use a DEXRONŽ III automatic transmission fluid as a temporary replacement. However, continued use can affect shift quality. Have the transmission drained and refilled with Honda ATF-Z1 as soon as it is convenient.

To thoroughly flush the transmission, the technician should drain and refill it with Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid), then drive the vehicle a short distance. Do this three times. Then drain and refill the transmission a final time.

Regardless of whether we're talking about Honda Premium ATF or Honda ATF-Z1, the result is the same, Dexron III = bad, however Honda DW-1 (nee. ATF-Z1) = good.
So, ATF-Z1 must have been the predecessor to DW-1, and used after Dexron II. But when did it start?

Old 07-01-2019, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

So, ATF-Z1 must have been the predecessor to DW-1, and used after Dexron II. But when did it start?
My presumption as well. Regarding the question of when Honda migrated away from Dexron II, I don't know as I've only owned a single GM car in my life and it was a throw away once I found something better (and by "better" I mean a 1966 Plymouth Valiant with the 225 Slant-Six). That said, per WikiPedia, the last year GM produced a car with Dexron II in the tranny was 1993, and that might could well be the watershed event which drove Honda to switch to a formulation it controlled. So, if I was at a trivia party and was asked, "What year did Honda start requiring ATF-Z1 in all their cars with automatic transmissions?", my answer would be 1994.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Wow. Very interesting on ATF.
I asked Honda dealer and they had one type of ATF being made for old Hondas like mine. I probably go for it.
Ted

Old 07-02-2019, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ticktock
Wow. Very interesting on ATF.
I asked Honda dealer and they had one type of ATF being made for old Hondas like mine. I probably go for it.
Ted
What is that ATF called?

Old 07-02-2019, 10:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I will take a picture and attach here.

Quick Reply: Use Honda ATF after used other brands